Corrimal - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 7, 2024

Corrimal

Southerly winds of thirty to fifty kilometers per hour were predicted for today so it was an easy decision to have as short a day as possible.   

Breakfast before breaking camp.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We started off with a few short but stiff climbs but after five kilometers we reached the cycle path near Bulli.  From here to Corimal it was easy riding despite the stiff headwind.  After a visit to the local Woolworths for some supplies we checked into the Corimal Beach Tourist Park, an enormous and rather soulless campground with lots of permanently setup caravans, somewhat reminiscent of what we had seen in parts of the UK.  However, it does have amongst the best ablution blocks and kitchens that we ever seen.

We braved the windswept beach for a few minutes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Australian magpies (Gymnorhina tibicen) are loud, obvious and potentially problematic. They have the most amazing array of complex vocalisations but are probably better known for being incredibly aggressive towards cyclists during their breeding season (which is now thankfully tailing off). So far they haven't bothered us, despite being in all our campsites so far.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike AylingHi J-M
Magpie breeding season is mid July to mid October in Victoria. Not sure what happens in the Northern States. It is the males who aggressively defend their territory. You should not have problems this time of year.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Part of one of the camp kitchens. Chicken curry on the stove in the top right hand corner, cold IPA in the bottom right hand corner. Only one IPA mind you, not like the couple who spent most of the afternoon there doing their best to finish a 24 bottle box of Tooheys in as short a time as possible.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We plan to head to Shell Harbour tomorrow and then Robertson on Saturday.  There doesn't appear to be any camping near Robertson so I have reached out to a Warmshowers host in the town.  I'm not sure what we will do if he isn't able to accommodate us but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 99 km (61 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Graham SmithShell Harbour is a bit ordinary. Very suburban.

If you can, push on to Kiama. It’s a path all the way and Kiama is a lovely town.

However you ride, to reach Robertson in The Southern Highlands is a big climb.

Bundanoon is my pick of the towns to stay in. Or Berrima.
And Jamberoo Pass Rd is probably the least trafficed sealed road up the escarpment. No heavy vehicles are allowed on it.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago