Hebel - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2024

Hebel

Lightning Ridge has a well stocked IGA so I headed off there for a few last minute items of groceries before we hit the road soon after eight o'clock. 

On reaching the junction with the Castlereagh Highway we were faced with another road closure sign.  We weren't too concerned this time because we reasoned that the flooding will have subsided by tomorrow  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road was once again flat, but not as flat as the previous two days.  There is far fewer signs of organized agriculture here with most of the road passing through relatively undisturbed woodland of ironbark, eucalyptus and wattle trees.

The flies were out early but wearing a buff seems to deter them.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another different mail box.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not sure of the motive behind these decorations.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An interesting small.melon spotted growing on the verge. Similar to tsama melons found in the Kalahari but small, about the size of a cricket ball.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be fodder melon.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/841204-Citrullus-amarus/browse_photos?place_id=6744
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Bill ShaneyfeltBy the way, that is a perfect ID shot showing leaves, stems, flowers and fruit, all nice and sharp! Far better than most shots on the internet.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Jean-Marc StrydomThanks Bill. My son is a botanist and I have had to take pictures (and collect live specimans) of plants for him on a number of occasions for herbarium records so he has told me what to look out for. BTW, he contributes enthusiastically to iNaturalist. If you look up Luc Strydom you'll find his profile.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

When we reached the Narran River at about halfway through the ride we got an idea of the rain that must have fallen to cause the flooding of the road past Hebel.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Four kilometers from Hebel we crossed into Queensland. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Good news sign once we reached Hebel.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A nice pie at the Cafe for a late lunch and then we checked into a simple room behind the Cafe for the night.

Later in the afternoon we popped into the pub for a beer only to learn that the road to Dirranbandi is really closed due to flood waters and, in all likelihood, will remain closed until Wednesday.

After much internet and soul searching we have decided to head back to Lightning Ridge tomorrow to wait for the waters to subside, largely because we will run out of food if we stay in Hebel.

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,579 km (981 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Angela NaefWow, That’s unfortunate. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology has flood information. The Flood warning for the Condamine Balonne should tell the flood levels at Dirranbandi. Good luck!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Angela NaefIf nothing else, we're going to have a few days rest. We're monitoring the QLD traffic alerts website which should help us decide when to have another go.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago