Lightning Ridge - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 11, 2024 to April 12, 2024

Lightning Ridge

Thursday the 11th of April 2024

On the road at nine o'clock but first a ride around town to take on some of the street art.

On silo a mural of Jimmy Little. For many years he was the main Aboriginal star on the Australian music scene.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Near the IGA. I made sure to leave out the more modern Emu representations which, for me, jar with the traditional images.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once on the road we had a flat ride with light and variable wind.  The flies were out early but I found that by covering my face with a buff they lost interest in me.

Eleven kilometers from Lightning Ridge we took some time off at a rest area to have lunch.  The flies seem to be less of a bother in shaded areas so they weren't as irritating as they can be when cycling. 

These plaques commemorate how Lightning Ridge got its name. Apparently a shepherd and six hundred sheep were struck by lightning at this point and the name attached itself to the low ridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A rather fanciful scrap metal Emu opposite the rest area.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The only "climb" of the day was crossing the ridge to get into town.   It lies about six kilometers away from the main road and has five caravan parks of which I am aware.  We checked out a couple and settled on the Crocodile Park, entirely due to its very good kitchen area.  Trees and grass are hard to come by here so the kitchen is a good refuge from the sun.  The local IGA is well stocked so we were able to enjoy a good dinner of lamb loin chops and veggies.

Friday the 12th of April 2024

A lazy start for tired bodies after over two hundred kilometers in the past two days.  

Midmorning we headed off to one of the defunct opal mines to get an idea of the main reason for Lightning Ridge's existence.   Very informative and well worth the twenty dollars  a head.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
A big hoist for raising the (possibly) opal bearing clay from underground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were some common but attractive birds at the mine. Here is a young Blue-faced Honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis). Its facial skin will turn from green to blue as it matures.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A male Zebra Finch (Taeniopygia guttata) with a female in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I've been using petrol in the multifuel stove because benzene aka white gas is hard to come by in Oz. Petrol aka gasoline is cheap and easily available  but unfortunately, apart from the less than pleasant fumes, it is also hard on the pump seals which are drying out. Luckily I have been able to find some cannister gas at the local hardware store.

Another nice supper,  just substituting rump steak for the lamb chops.

Off to Queensland tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 1,510 km (938 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Graham SmithHi Jean-Marc and Leigh, it looks as if you’ll cross the Qld border a few days ahead of us, and further west. A place called Texas is where we will cross in two days.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Graham SmithWe crossed into Queensland yesterday but will be heading back to NSW today due to the flooding in this area. Will return to Hebel in the middle of the week to pick up where we left off.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago