Boorowa - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 22, 2024

Boorowa

The Yass Show Society (I'm assuming this this is the equivalent of what we call an agricultural society in South Africa) was established in eighteen sixty three.  Their showgrounds have a lovely pavilion,  a bit tired and badly patched in places, that might originally have been built soon after that date.  I enjoyed my first coffee of the the morning watching the rising sun light it up.

The charming pavilion.
Heart 5 Comment 0
My second coffee was enjoyed waiting for the sun's rays to reach our rather wet tent.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We gave up waiting for the tent to dry and packed it away while it was still rather wet.  The wait meant it was after nine thirty by the time we got going.  

Despite the delay we still weren't sure which route to take.  Various people had headed straight up the Lachlan Valley Way while others had taken quieter route via Laverstock  and Rye Park.  At the tiny we passed the turn off to Laverstock the main road was very quiet so we just kept on going on the Lachlan Valley Way.  In retrospect,  not the best decision. 

After a few kilometers we had to suffer two kilometers of the Hume Highway for just over two kilometers before turning onto the Lachlan Valley Way proper.  It turned out to be much busier than what we were hoping for and the shoulder was often tiny and in poor condition.  To make matters worse, there were two sections of roadworks which meant the traffic, which included lots of heavy vehicles,  would pass by in large, impatient pelatons.  The flip side was that between concertinad batches of traffic we had periods of almost no traffic.  We had one long wait at the one section of roadworks and eventually got through being shepherded by a very kind and pleasant young construction worker who drove behind us to ensure we got through safely.

It appears that a walking route follows the Hume Highway.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Typical scenery for today - rolling hills and Eucalyptus.
Heart 2 Comment 0
No sign of Koalas yet but we did see a Panda in a tree.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The one blight on today's ride was that about seven kilometers out of Boorowa,  on the last climb of the day, someone in a passing ute threw a hard object at Leigh as it went past.  It struck a hard blow on her back and she now has a large bruise.  Strangely,  it also stained her shirt without wetting it so we are unsure as to what the missile might have been.

Tomorrow we head for Koorawatha.

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 625 km (388 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Graham SmithSo sorry to hear about Leigh being hit from a vehicle by some idiot. That sort of dangerous behaviour beggars belief.

I recall there is a police station in Boorowa but it might not be attended full time. If you are up to it, it’d be worth trying to report the incident to the cops. If there have been similar incidents, the report can add to evidence which might lead to a conviction.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Angela NaefWhat an awful thing for someone to do! So sorry that happened, Hope Leigh isn’t too sore.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rich FrasierUgh. Throwing things at cyclists! Not a good look, Australia! Normally that stuff only happens in the USA. Hope it heals quickly, Leigh!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago