Yass - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

March 21, 2024

Yass

It was not until we reached Gunning that we had any firm idea that we would go to Canberra.  However once we got there we realised that it was actually the real start of this trip and that the ride from Sydney was actually just the prologue.  So it seems that this trip has finally got some sort of structure  - Canberra  to Cairns!

We headed out of Canberra just after nine o'clock,  cool and crisp (five degrees at seven o'clock) so we has our jackets on.  Leigh only removed hers after more than twenty kilometers. 

The first twenty kilometers on the Barton Highway was easy going.  An eighty kilometer per hour speed limit and a wide shoulder meant the heavy traffic didn't bother us too much.  Then it became single lane each way, the speed limit increased (and started to be ignored) and the shoulder got narrow.   We quickly discarded any thoughts of remaining on the highway all the way to Yass.

After thirty five kilometers we turned off onto the Dog Trap Road which Graham had suggested we take and we had a peaceful ride for the rest of the way.

On the Barton Highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving ACT.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Dog Trap Road was through peaceful sheep and cattle country, peppered with gum trees. The road itself was peppered with roadkill kangaroos.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Merino ewes on fallow grain fields.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once in Yass we headed to the showgrounds,  set up our tent and headed back into town for groceries and petrol fir the stove.  Meatballs,  penne and a couple of beers and we're into the tent to escape the cold and blustery wind.

Boorowa is where we're heading to tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 568 km (353 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0