Zestafoni - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2023

Zestafoni

A short day and a good breakfast on offer meant we only left the hotel at ten o'clock.   The first thirteen kilometers was spent backtracking to south of the E60 highway on the route that we had used to enter Kutaisi two days earlier.  Then we turned westwards into a strong headwind along a lovely quiet backroad.

We cycled through avenues of trees for the first few kilometers on the backroad which shielded us from the sun and gave some protection against the wind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The route was pretty flat with only one short climb but the headwind meant we had to work the whole way.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The backroad meant we had very little traffic until just before Zestafoni.  Along with the flat ride and  the best weather we have had since arriving in Georgia it provided a sharp contrast between the hills, humidity and horrible drivers we had to contend with on our first few days in Georgia.

Leigh obviously made good use of this morning's buffet breakfast because she didn't feel the need to have lunch today. I tucked into a large lobiana, a type of bread stuffed with mashed haricot beans. A meal big enough for two costing less than a dollar. A convenient car wash provided a spot of shade in which to eat it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We joined the E60 just before Zestafoni.  It had now degraded from a four lane highway into a hectic narrow road.   We selected a hotel on the far side of the town on the E60 where we have a bungalow set back from the road.  I fear that we might have to spend some more time on the E60 tomorrow.  Hopefully we can find some backroads again as we make our way to Ubisa where we hope to visit a monastery. 

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,187 km (737 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0