Ubisa - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2023

Ubisa

We weren't particularly enthusiastic about getting on the road this morning.  The E60 beckoned and it was a call we would have preferred to ignore.   We tried to by ducking down a side road but a local stopped and told us that the road was a dead end.  It soon became clear why it was so.  Massive roadworks were taking place with the old E60 being replaced by a modern highway and many of the side roads had been destroyed.  There are many raised sections being constructed and many tunnels and bridges.  Apparently with help from China.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We did manage to escape onto a side road for a few kilometers and the break did us good.  But eventually we had to return to the mayhem.  Thankfully it was a short ride and we were soon in the tiny village of Ubisa.  First stop was the nineth century St. George’s Monastery founded by St. Gregory of Khandzt.  Apart from a four story high tower, the monastery has some fantastic fourteenth century murals by the Georgian artist Damiane.  I'm not sure why they are called murals because they are painted on the vaulted ceiling.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was a stiff climb up to the guest house where we are spending tonight.   I ended up walking my bicycle for the first time on this trip after losing traction just before the top.  

Heart 2 Comment 0

The guest house had a washing machine so after making use of it we headed back down into the village and back up the hill on the E60 to a restaurant we had past.  Here we destroyed our budget on the best meal by far that we have had in Georgia.  On the way back to the guest house I lost traction in exactly the same place.

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,220 km (758 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0