Tourist stuff in Kutaisi - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2023

Tourist stuff in Kutaisi

The hotel had a really good buffet breakfast.  We ate rather late so we didn't end up eating again until an early supper.

After breakfast we set out on foot to see some of the city's attractions.   First stop was the somewhat over the top  Colchis Fountain.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Then it was a long walk up a hill to the Bagrati Cathedral.  It was built in the eleventh century and underwent significant restoration in the nineteen fifties.   The restoration didn't please UNESCO and it has lost its world heritage status.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This group of minstrels were performing outside the cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back in town we sought out a mural depicting a woman making khachapuri, the traditional flat bread stuffed with cheese and other ingredients. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally a rather drab selection of Soviet era sculptures.  Best was the acrobat but the light made it very difficult to get a decent shot.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a simple supper it was time for the Springboks to take on Scotland. 

Khachapuri and some decent Georgian wine to enjoy with the Rugby.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Final score 18-3 in favour of South Africa,  after a tight first half the Boks managed to assert dominance in the second half.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Mike AylingGo the Boks!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Mike AylingI suspect you have two horses in this race :-)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Mike AylingTo Jean-Marc StrydomRugby Union is very much a minor sport here in Oz.
In Queensland and New South Wales the game is Rugby League which is played in schools and junior clubs as well as the professional game.
In the other States Australian Rules is the game. I would not be surprised if there were more playing Soccer than Rugby Union here so basically we are punching well above our weight in Rugby Union which is why we seldom beat the All Blacks.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago