Hopa - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2023

Hopa

Another rather uneventful ride mostly along the D010.  Traffic volumes were down noticeably compared to when we first left Trabzon so it was often easier to simply stay on the highway and not look for alternative routes running alongside it.  The only important exception was taking the old road over a headland to avoid the second and longer of the two tunnels on the route.  The first tunnel was just over 1.3 kilometers long so we took the relaxed option and walked the bicycles through.  The climb over the headland was so mild as to have me wondering why they built a tunnel at all.

We have an uninspiring and over priced hotel room in Hopa for the night.  We didn't want to push through to Sarpa at the border because, in our experience, border towns are best avoided.  Nonetheless,  Hopa still feels a bit like a border town even though it is almost twenty kilometers short of the border. 

In many ways Hopa doesn't feel Turkish at all.  Very few women on the streets have their heads covered and skimpy clothing seems to be the standard for younger women.  The obsession with keeping alcohol hidden is absent and many of the restaurants in the vicinity of our hotel serve it openly. 

The view from our hotel window. Trucks queuing up to go through the border. This started many kilometers west of here. Apparently it can take a truck a week or so to get clearance to cross into Georgia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our last Turkish supper.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesHope it tasted as delicious as it looks.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt did! The köftes were the best we have had so far.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

After supper we took a stroll along the esplanade.   It was jam packed with people enjoying the summer evening in bars and restaurants. 

Also some guys trying to fish off the end of the pier.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And a colorful fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our last sunset in Turkey.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 876 km (544 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonI don't know if you knew or know Peter Gostelow, he was on crazyguy a long time ago. He has cycled all over Africa and much of Turkey. He is now in Georgia, I think in Tbilisi. If you are interested I think you can find him on Instagram. Maybe you aren't interested but I thought I would pass the information on.
I'm enjoying your journal a lot - I really admire your adventsuresome spirit!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Suzanne GibsonThanks for the heads up. I'm going to cyber stalk him right now.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Suzanne Gibsonhttps://petergostelow.com/
Reply to this comment
8 months ago