Batumi - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2023

Batumi

Nine tunnels!

That's how many we rode through on the nineteen kilometer stretch between Hopa and the border.  They varied in length from three hundred meters to just under a kilometer and a half but, as opposed to earlier on this section,  we rode them all.  Sometimes on the raised walkway but mostly on the road itself, including the longest one.   What made it possible was the relatively low traffic volumes. 

One tunnel we didn't have to go through because it is being removed. We were shifted onto the opposite side of the highway which is already out of the tunnel.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The border crossing was quick and easy.  Georgia gives us a twelve month stay so we have no time pressures to leave the country.   This could be just as well because the super friendly lady manning (?) the Georgian passport control told us that it is unlikely that the Azerbaijan border will reopen until next year.  We had found out only recently that it was closed but it was supposed to be reopening on the 2nd of October.  The given reason is to keep COVID out of the country but one can still fly in!  The logic behind this escapes me.

Soon after the border we reached the St Andrew's Waterfall with a monument dedicated to the historical fact of the entry of the Apostle Andrew the First-Called to Georgia.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first ten kilometers after the border was wall to wall Russian holiday makers, particularly once the beach started at Gonio.

Kilometers of Russian sun seekers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Gonio also had a well restored fortress. We peeked inside but there wasn't much to see.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 This was followed by bumper to bumper traffic until we reached the center of Batumi.  By luck rather than design we found a fantastic and affordable guest house near to the one we were looking for (which no longer seems to exist).  We will be here for at least two nights trying to work out what comes next. 

We are booked to fly back to South Africa from Baku in Azerbaijan on the 24th of October but we now accept that is unlikely to happen.  The options we can think of  are (1) to spend some time in Georgia and Armenia and fly back out of Tbilisi (a jaunt into Russia is also possible but my son would have a heart attack - he has already scolded us for being too close to the war), (2) get another 30 day Turkish visa and fly back from somewhere in Turkey or (3) try and get a Bulgarian visa (this could be a challenge) and catch a boat across the Black Sea to Bulgaria after spending time in Georgia and Armenia.  

The whole character of this tour has been altered by visa and border restrictions but we will undoubtedly find something worthwhile to keep us occupied.

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 914 km (568 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0