Batumi's beachfront - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2023

Batumi's beachfront

After a late start to the day we hopped on the bicycles and headed down to Batumi's beachfront.   The esplanade, which is less than a kilometer from our digs, has a cycle path along its entire length.

Soviet era buildings merge with modern architecture.
Heart 1 Comment 0

First port of call was a really clever piece of technical artwork near the harbour.  The statue of Ali and Nino is a pair of eight meter high transparent steel figures of a woman and a man that move slowly on accentric pivots to pass through each other and gradually become one, repeating every ten minutes.  The sculpture was created by famous Georgian artist and sculptor Tamar Kvesitadze. The inspiration was the novel “Ali and Nino” by the Azerbaijan writer Kurban Said. It tells about the tragic love story of Azerbaijan Muslim Ali Shirvashir and Georgian Christian Nino Kipiani during the First World War in the Caucasus and represents a symbol of love, despite nationality or belief.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Russian sun seekers stretch all the way along the 5 km pebbled beach from the airport to the harbour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ferris wheel in an unusual place.
Heart 4 Comment 0
After the national sport of rugby, wrestling and weight lifting are major sports in Georgia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leigh was desperate to see the sculpture of the slip-slops perched on eggs. The mind boggles.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Batumi is a large enough city to have a decent bicycle shop or two.  I took a ride to the closet one to buy a new spare inner tube and have fantastic service from a Ukrainian expat.  He has been here since before war, unlike the supposedly many young Russians who have fled to Georgia to avoid the draft.

It looks like we will spend another night in Batumi before wandering off in the direction of Yerevan in Armenia.  Then onto Tbilisi in Georgia from where we will fly to Baku in Azerbaijan (the border at the airport is still open and flights seem reasonably priced).  This plan will at least allow us to come as close to our original plan as possible. 

Today's ride: 17 km (11 miles)
Total: 931 km (578 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0