Çorum - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2023

Çorum

I was planning to lie in until the sun warmed the tent but the muezzin woke us before sunrise.   The result was that I could enjoy my first cup of coffee taking in the dawn light.  I had a couple of cups more in the peaceful area we had been fortunate enough to stumble upon yesterday evening.   Usually  I am the one nagging Leigh to hurry up in the mornings but today I was the one holding up the show.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWow. Stunning.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomIt was worth being woken up!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Some time after nine we set off for Çorum, not sure which route we would take.  The easy option would be to head back to the D180 and enjoy the new smooth surface.  The alternative was to take some backroads which meant higher and steeper climbs on a rough surface but would potentially be more enjoyable.  

We decided to stick to the backroads which meant we started off with a three hundred and fifty meters climb.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Very little traffic to start off with but it did build up as the ride went on.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After another climb to bring us to the outskirts of Çorum we had a long downhill on some bad roads into the city.  Leigh's comment was that we entered through its a-end.  If that was the case the last few kilometers to the hotel we chose was through its small intestine - lots of winding streets that kept getting my phone's GPS confused. 

After a bit of negotiating we managed to secure a very nice room and ended up booking it for two nights.  But more on that point later because now it's time to watch the last two quarter finals of the Rugby World Cup. 

Today's ride: 29 km (18 miles)
Total: 2,411 km (1,497 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0