Çorum - the end of the road - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2023

Çorum - the end of the road

We needed to be in digs with a decent internet connection because the Rugby World Cup quarter finals were played this weekend.  Saturday night's games were missed because we had a very poor 4G connection at our wildcamp but our hotel in Çorum has good wifi.  The last quarter final was between the hosts France and the Springboks,  played late last night.  A humdinger of a match with South Africa knocking the hosts out with a one point win.  It took time for our adrenaline levels to subside so we only got to sleep a few hours after midnight.  We're exhausted today but I suspect the players from both teams are even more tired.

Çorum marks the end of this trip as a cycle tour for us.  Even before the rugby last night we had pretty much decided not to cycle to Ankara.  It wasn't likely to be an enjoyable experience and it would dilute the good memories of the last section we have ridden from Erzincan.  We had thought of diverting to Bogazkale to visit the ancient Hittite city ruins but that would have placed us under too much time pressure.   Instead we are catching a bus into Ankara and will spend the last few days in Turkey preparing for our flights back to South Africa.

Today's ride: 7 km (4 miles)
Total: 2,418 km (1,502 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0