Wildcamp at Ağcakoyun Bataji - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2023

Wildcamp at Ağcakoyun Bataji

Most of today was a boring slog up the D180.  In contrast to most other Turkish roads we have ridden,  the D180 was narrow and in rather shoddy condition.  It was also much busier than we expected.   The shoulder was mostly very narrow and was rough and broken.  Allied with a constant climb, about seven hundred meters with hardly a downhill, it made for slow going.  It didn't help that the countryside was as boring as it could get.  At least the weather was good.

Nothing much to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were signs that the D180 was being prepared for a major overhaul.   Culverts for the new road had already been constructed and one of the major cutting was almost completely excavated. 

Culverts laid on the path of the new D180.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Seven kilometers out of Mecitözü we joined the newly constructed replacement road.  It made the world of difference and our flagging spirits lifted.

Once in Mecitözü we stopped to enjoy an ice-cream and stocked up on beer and groceries for supper.  From here it was another eight kilometers on a rough gravel road to the dam at Ağcakoyun.  We found a level pitch about a hundred  meters from the waters edge and called it a day. The sun had just set but we first popped a can of beer before setting up the tent in the evening twilight.   It felt good to end a mostly unpleasant day on a good note.

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 2,382 km (1,479 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Elspeth JarmanSitting here hoping you two got to see the rugby. 🤞
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Elspeth JarmanWe didn't manage to see the Saturday night games because the 4G signal was close to nonexistent, even if I did have enough data. Would have loved to have watched the NZ-Ireland game. Not sure where your allegiances lie but I suspect you had money on two horses, so England's win cancels out Wales' loss. Nail biting result for the Springboks. Took a few hours for the adrenaline to subside sufficiently for me to fall asleep.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago