Chokhatauri - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2023

Chokhatauri

I slept very badly last night suffering from stomach cramps though thankfully I didn't have to dash off to the loo.  That came this morning along with a pounding headache and sore muscles and joints.   Leigh was also out of sorts but we felt it was safe enough to cycle on today.

A heavy dew had us delaying our start but even by nine thirty the tent was still quite wet.   We spent the time chatting to Martin, the German cyclist.  He had also had a tummy problem a couple of days before and was taking a rest day at the campsite to recover. 

Martin posing with my bike and my wife.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pigs were the first farm animals to greet us this morning.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Followed by cows and goats.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a couple of short climbs, which Leigh rocketed up showing no indication she wasn't feeling a hundred percent, we had a nice downhill.  We stopped at a monument to the Battle of Nasakirali.  The place surrounded by stray dogs including some pitiful looking puppies.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we had a long straight and flat road following a river through a big valley where we should have made good time.  Here things started to go wrong.  Both of us found ourselves absolutely devoof energy and were really struggling.  Yesterday had been an easy ride and so we should have been full of energy today.  We felt nauseous and my headache wouldn't go away.  A glance at Google showed a hotel in the next town so we decided to call it a day.

The river flowing through the valley.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The hotel on the entrance to Chokhatauri was pretty good and reasonably priced so we checked in and, after a khachapuri  type of bread, for lunch I crashed and slept for a great part of the afternoon.  A simple bread based supper and we plan to have an early night.  Hopefully we will feel better in the morning.

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 1,046 km (650 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0