Vani - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2023

Vani

It started raining heavily early yesterday evening and was still raining steadily this morning.   On the positive side both of us were feeling a much better than we did yesterday.   We decided to wait until mid-morning,  when the rain was was forecast to abate, before getting on our bicycles but it seemed that it would never stop.

We eventually got going at around eleven o'clock and tackled the hundred and seventy meter climb out of Chokhatauri as if yesterday's episode had never happened. 

These mist covered mountains ....
Heart 1 Comment 0

After that we had a lovely downhill towards the Khevistkali River where we turned off onto a minor road that skirted the next range of hills.  From here onto to Vani was mostly flat riding.

We wore full rain gear for more than thirty kilometers but with the temperature being barely into the twenties it was comfortable riding.  The rain was reduced to an unenthusiastic spit over the last few kilometers which was just as well because it had got a bit warmer. 

At the top of the climb. Prepared for the weather. Unprepared for all the litter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of pigs and cows again today. Many of the pigs seemed terrified of cyclists but obviously not this one.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike AylingHappy as a pig in mud?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

Today’s ride was the most enjoyable we have had so far in Georgia.  The traffic was lighter and seemed far less threatening.  Perhaps we are growing accustomed to it.

The only hotel in Vani looked like an absolute wreck so we climbed up a steep hill to a very simple guest house.   After checking in I had to go back down into town again to buy some groceries for supper so I had two goes at the hill.

Tomorrow we head for Kutaisi.  The Rugby World Cup starts this weekend and there are a few games we need to watch so we want to be in a bigger town.  The opening game between France and New Zealand starts at just before midnight tonight so we will skip that but South Africa tackle Scotland on Sunday afternoon so we daren't miss that.  Almost as important is that Leigh wants to be taken out to a "real" restaurant. 

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,094 km (679 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingAFAICR in the nineteen fifties the Boks beat Scotland 44 to nil!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomFrom ESPN:

The match between Scotland and South Africa at Murrayfield on November 24, 1951 has gone into the game's folklore, forever associated - possibly apocryphally - with the stunned Scottish fan whose comment on the final scoreline was 'we were lucky to get nil'.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago