Melekeduri - The fourteenth step ... Asia Minor - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2023

Melekeduri

A late start and a short ride.  Some hills in the first half in particular but without the humidity it would have been an easy ride.  Thunderstorms threatened the whole day but apart from a few drops it has been dry.  However, the humidity is really oppressive.   Traffic was pretty heavy for much of the ride but thankfully it tapered off a lot as we got closer to Ozurgeti.  The Georgian drivers are taking some getting used to.  Most are quite considerate but they have their fair share of idiots.

The hills were green and lush. I have been surprised at the subtropical nature of the Black Sea coast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped off in Ozurgeti to stock up on some groceries and then headed on four about another six kilometers to a campsite in the hills above the town

Ozurgeti is just a large provincial town but it has a surprisingly impressive theater for dramatic productions.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The campsite is pretty basic but the German couple who own it are very pleasant and helpful.   A big plus was a washing machine so it was another chance for our clothes to get properly washed.

Late in the afternoon another cycle tourist arrived, Martin from Germany.   He had started in Batumi and had struggled with the hills and the humidity.  He said he had a lot of rain on his ride so, apart from also being led by Komoot to the dead end at the botanical gardens,  he stuck to the freeway for much of his ride.

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,018 km (632 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0