Camp cooking - remote rides - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Camp cooking - remote rides

Emily Sharp

I'm planning on some touring later in the year that will be 90 percent camping and up to 12 days between resupply.  I'll be doing camp cooking with a trangia and am looking for any recipe ideas that involve nutritious, whole foods. Also looking for tips on lugging fresh fruit and veggies (i.e. what have you found is most durable but not too heavy and withstands heat well). I've got a few caveats:

- No instant, freeze-dried backpacker type meals bought from camping stores
- No emulsifiers, preservatives, thickeners or any ingredient you can't pronounce or includes a number on the product list
-No gluten or dairy, very limited soy
- I won't be in the position to dehydrate meals ahead of time, so backpacker recipes are out for the most part.

A bartonella infection did terrible things to my gut lining (which caused a snowball effect of other issues), so I have lots of food sensitivities and can't eat much processed food or anything with gluten or dairy anymore. 

I have been doing lots of experimentation with red lentils, legume pasta and various veggies, but looking for other ideas from anyone that cooks their own meals on tour.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jon AylingTo Emily Sharp

Interesting question! So though I don't generally run that long between resupplying, I do carry a lot of food - but I tend to lean heavily to the wheat and cheese which won't be helpful here. In terms of gluten-free pasta-like food though, I have had great success with Gnocchi. They're dense, last for ages at ambient temperature, and filling. I always carry olive oil (for frying and drizzling on everything) and spices too. Fresh veggies might be a challenge - onions would probably last pretty well though.

One thing I can definitely not recommend is garlic bulbs. Getting one of those smashed up in your pannier and you'll know about it...

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mark BinghamTo Emily Sharp

I found this prior to my last trip and loved it so much that I eat it sometimes even when I'm not on a bike tour. It does included powdered milk, but I suspect you could easily make a substitution with that.  You mentioned you're not in a position to dehydrate meals, but if you have an oven this is pretty quick and easy.

https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/pecan-maple-granola-bag/#recipe

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Emily Sharp

Your diet restrictions make things pretty problematic, especially for an omnivore like me.  (And I mean OMNI omnivore because I eat even the worst foods.)  

I have never gone twelve days without resupply, so you take what I have to say in that context.  But in my backpacking days, I HAVE been known to carry fresh carrots, onions, celery, and garlic for three or four days with no problems.  (I'm pretty sure you'll eat better on the first few of those 12 days than you will on the last ones.) 

Also, The Feeshko is very vegetable oriented and also has gluten issues, so Chef G. tries to be sensitive to that.  Rice is good.

So what I'm saying is, think SOUP.  If you have access to water and are able to treat it, simmer the soup broth basics (onions, celery, carrots, garlic) on your triangia for as long as possible.  Then add your rice and beans and any other ingredients you've got, and your collection of herbs and spices, which I KNOW you've got, and enjoy.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Emily Sharp

I bought a multi disc and made a cozy for my Trangia in an effort to cook regular rice on it without going through a lot of fuel.  The multi disk was to act as a lid inside the cozy and would have other uses as well.  More practice is needed, but the idea was to be able to let the rice continue cooking in the cozy while I prepared something else to go with it.

As far as carrying fresh foods goes, much depends on the temperature.  Unless you are travelling in a hot region, burying things in nice insulating clothes in a pannier might work quite well.  I remember taking homemade chili when I hiked the West Coast Trail in September 1982.  It was 3 or 4 days before it was thawed.  And of course, anything that might make a mess if squished needs to go in a leakproof container.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Emily SharpTo Jon Ayling

Thanks, Jon - I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for gluten free gnocchi. I've tried various legume pastas and have developed some preferences based on texture and cooking time, but I have not yet tried gnocchi.

On a six-month camping road trip in a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, my future husband and I had a dry goods tub. Somehow a rogue banana made its way in there, got overripe and made everything in the tub have a banana flavour. That wasn't so bad with the chocolate chip cookies or crackers (just add peanut butter), but my husband says banana flavour was not so good with bbq potato chips :-) Garlic would certainly be even worse!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Emily SharpTo Mark Bingham

That sounds quite yummy - I've used coconut milk powder in place of powdered milk before, but it might be hard to find in small towns along the way. For similar recipes, I've left out the powdered milk, and added apple juice instead of water when getting ready to eat. It changes taste and texture so it's more like a bircher muesli, but still good.  I won't have an oven, but perhaps if a caravan park (RV park) has a good camp kitchen, I could do a lot of food prep for the next bit of riding before heading back out into the bush (forest). 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Emily SharpTo Gregory Garceau

Thanks, Greg - I am thinking along similar lines to what you've mentioned. I used to be a 'eat whatever you find' omnivore on tour, too. I'd eat the bagged salads straight out of the bag when going through a town and would pack healthy and junk food heavy on carbs for snacks. I'd drink soft drink, too, but I need to be a lot more strategic now. 

Back when I did a lot of backpacking, I did not carry a stove. I could eat peanut butter tortillas, cheese, chocolate and trail mix for long periods. But that doesn't translate well now.  

The veggies you mention are on my list. Here's what I've come up with so far:

• Veggies that should last up to two or three days - cucumber, capsicum (bell pepper), mushroom, cherry tomatoes kept in carton
  • Veggies that last 3-4 days: zucchini and other summer squash, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower
  • Veggies that should last up to six days - carrot, celery, onion,  parsnip (potatoes, turnips, swedes too heavy to justify I think)

I think I'm either going to find lots of creative things to do with red lentils or will get really sick of them. But if I tell myself that eating red lentil rations lets me stay out in the bush longer between resupplies, then I'm sure I'll make that trade-off. I'm saying 12 days because it looks like I can make a litre of fuel last 10 days with one hot meal a day. I might not be riding all 12 days - because I'd like to be able to just stop and hang out somewhere for 2-3 days if I find a nice, quiet spot in the bush before moving on. Gone are the days for me of pursuing a specific route with a detailed itinerary. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Emily SharpTo Jacquie Gaudet

Thanks, Jacquie. Do you have any photos of the multi disc and your cozy? I'd love to see what you are doing. I don't have a trangia cook set. I'm using a trangia burner with a titanium firebox nano.

I've been experimenting with poha (rice flakes) and rice vermicelli noodles since they cook quickly. I reckon I could soak rice (I have to soak all my grains because I'm sensitive to oxalates, too, ugh) while I ride and then cook.

Unfortunately, I live in Australia and all the riding will be here... where it's hot. I envision most of this riding to occur in the high country where it is cooler at elevation, but still not a good food preservation temp for about 8 months of the year. (Better than the outback though of course!). 

Yes, I'll tuck the veggies right down in the pannier. I'll need to do this for some medications, too.  I've found that if I'm spending a few days in one spot that has a creek, I can use my Ultra sil daypack to put food and meds in (within ziplocs, and ziplocs within ziplocs for meds). I then just submerge this in the creek. That's worked well in air temps up to 33C. 

Thanks for your tips!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Emily Sharp

No photos, I'm afraid, and I can't take any because my camping gear is buried in one of our three storage lockers.

I have a pretty typical Trangia 27 cookset (the small size) and a Trangia Triangle.  The triangle might be pretty close to your setup but I've never used it.  I find the wind shield of the cookset to be very useful and having the pot down inside makes a difference.  It's bulky, but I don't do enough camping and cooking these days to justify getting anything else.

I got the multi disk after reading somebody's journal or forum post about it and because I'd never figured out how to make a cozy without a pot lid (you use the frying pan with a Trangia cookset).  It's a standard Trangia accessory and typically difficult to find in Canada, but I managed to find one without a ridiculous shipping charge.  Then I made the cozy following instructions I found online.  I haven't had much chance to use it yet for various reasons.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago