Screaming that you're a cyclist... (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Screaming that you're a cyclist... (page 2)

Wayne EstesTo Leo Woodland

Leo, I'm not ashamed of my cyclist tan. This photo shows my "Neapolitan Ice Cream" tan at Ram Creek hot spring in British Columbia. Apparently my shorts blocked the sun more than my shirt.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Leo WoodlandTo Wayne Estes

Ah, the joys of skinny-dipping!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Leo Woodland

Other cyclists chortle at me because I never cycle in shorts, and I almost always wear long sleeves as well. I’m already very sun damaged so covering my appendages while cycling is an attempt to reduce further damage. The only thing that screams cyclist about me is that rarely take my bright orange helmet off. Even when wandering around the supermarket, or sitting in bakeries at morning tea time, I leave the helmet on. Invariably other shoppers notice that I am a cyclist.

Long sleeves, long trousers, high viz and a helmet scream that I’m a cyclist.
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Titanium PenguinTo Graham Smith

Ah Graham, it must be an Australian thing. I too am covered head to toe when out on the bike, including a bandanna over face and daily, nay sometimes hourly, tracking of UV levels.

Like you I'm already somewhat sun damaged around the edges, with one skin cancer to date and regular removal of solar keratoses. Alas, we are the generation that ran around in the sun before 'slip, slop, slap' and 'no hat no play'!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike AylingTo Titanium Penguin

I am with Catherine and Graham. In the southern states we are under the depleted ozone layer formerly known as the hole in the ozone layer. The ozone layer filters out a lot of those nasty  cancer causing uv rays. I dress in long sleeves and trousers when cycling.

Mike 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John SaxbyTo Titanium Penguin

it must be an Australian thing

Thanks, Catherine, Graham, and Mike.  It certainly is A 'Strayan Thing, but not only that, for sure.

Some of us northern wallahs have the same preoccupation, esp those of us of the Celtic diaspora, a.k.a. The Spotted Tribe.

An example of The Problem:

Celtic diasporite, visiting Nova Scotia

And the solution:

Catskills, NY state

On me bike, it's long sleeves, cycling knickers, knee socks, head-muff beneath my helmet & over my neck, and lashings of sunblock.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Leo WoodlandTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

There was a time, too, when inner tubes were of latex rather than butyl and had to be topped up each morning. The result was a long-lasting dark mark on the palm of one hand from the end of the pump. It was funny to see it on someone's hand and accuse him, out of bike gear, of being a cyclist.

Now inner tubes are butyl and there's no longer a reinforced hole in pump handles for the old flexible valves and those marks have long gone.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John PescatoreTo Leo Woodland

I guess we haven't mentioned the chain ring grease tattoo on the right calf.

A specialty subcategory: my wife and I once went to a party at the house of one of her coworkers, and I noticed some damage on the header board above their garage door. I asked and sure enough - they were in the "used to transport bikes on a car top carrier" cyclist subgroup...

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott Anderson

That's a good look. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott Anderson

Deleted duplicate

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago