What is your favourite after ride beverage? - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What is your favourite after ride beverage?

Mike Ayling

Wayne Estes commented in one of his recent journals on the proliferation of vineyards and wineries and wondered who actually drank the stuff?

I recall a number of journals where people have shared a bottle of wine at the end of the day but lets hear also from non oenophiles.

Since Mary joined a Pentecostal Church which does not approve of the consumption of alcohol sharing a bottle is no longer an option for us and at the end of the day we usually have several cups of tea.  I might then go on to having a beer or glass of red wine with our resturant evening meal.

So what about you readers, is it beer, wine or non-alcoholic?

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Mike Ayling

It’s about 50/50 beer or wine with me, but wine probably has the edge.  I was born with no sense of taste or smell, so most of the wine experience is lost on me; but I like the color, and I like varieties that remind me of regions that we’ve biked through.  I was really excited recently to find Alvariño on the card - it reminded me of our ride through Galicia.

Hey - aren’t you and Mary having your 50th next month?  Congrats!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Mike Ayling

A refreshing Pilsner..... tastes even better when you are still wearing your biking gear .... and in the Czech Republic!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Mike Ayling

...but if we’re in Italy....

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike AylingTo Scott Anderson

Hi Scott

Yes 50 years married next month. Time does tend to get away when you are having fun!

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Mike Ayling
Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Mike Ayling

India Pale Ale is my drink of choice.  I want to taste the bitterness 30 minutes after the last sip. IPA availability influences my choice of tour routes. I try to avoid regions where most people say "huh?" when I ask for an IPA.

Oregon has a lot of beer snobs because it grows the world's best hops. Oregon also produces some of the worlds best Pinot Noir wine and has the lowest Cannabis prices in the US.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike AylingTo Wayne Estes

Hi Wayne

I usually ask for an IPA when I encounter a micro brewery.

Mike 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Mike Ayling

Nothing like a good IPA after a ride. We fortunately have some nice choices here in Vermont. 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Mike Ayling
On one night of every tour I buy a bottle of a locally produced wine, haul it to my campsite, and write a wine review. Pretty much every other night, I'm a beer guy. It's a necessary part of my post-ride routine. And the nice thing about an IPA is that it still tastes good even when it's warm.
Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago