What is your favourite after ride beverage? (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What is your favourite after ride beverage? (page 2)

Jeff LeeTo Mike Ayling

I wonder if I'm the only teetotaler here...  Because chocolate milk is the perfect post-ride beverage, in my opinion.

I drank several of these after the 2015 Redbud Ride in London, Kentucky.
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Mike Ayling

After hours on the road I find a cold beer the best thirst quencher.  Normally I drink whatever is locally popular.  An exception is in South America where the cheap, popular beer is dreadful and so I end up stumping up a bit more for something better.  Similarly, in South Africa I avoid the two most popular brands and usually settle for Windhoek Lager which is imported from neighbouring Namibia.

On Hokaido, Japan, sipping a Kirin Lager outside a michi-no-eki where we had our evening ablutions before heading off to look for a place to wild camp.
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo Jeff Lee

I’m with you on the chocolate milk. It’s our go-to lunch time drink when we can get it!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Jeff Lee

Chocolate milk is great at convenience stores along the way.  So is good old whole white milk.  But when it's time to relax at the end of the day,  milk just doesn't give me the same inspiration as beer.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Bill StoneTo Mike Ayling

I don't drink much alcohol, but if I don't have a beer at the end of a long day in the saddle, it's only because I can't find one. I wrapped these in spare clothes and carried them in the bottom of a pannier for many unpaved miles so we could have brews while camping.

Refreshment en route to Grand Canyon
Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John SaxbyTo Mike Ayling

at the end of the day we usually have several cups of tea

I'm with you there, Mike.  For me, the end-of-the-day drink is strong black tea laced with--wait for it--condensed milk.  There is a debate over The Best Tea, of course.  In these parts, I resort to Yorkshire Orange Pekoe. (I learned about this, by the magic of global marketing, while visiting our son and his family in 'Straya some years ago.)  I prefer the Yorkshire tea to most of the varieties sold in these parts.  I buy it, though, only because it's now almost impossible for me to get the best strong black tea I've ever known, Tanganda from the Eastern highlands of Zimbabwe.

On the matter of condensed milk:  Some people are grossed out by my liking for it as an after-the-ride-rejuvenator.  But not all: A couple of years back, I was camped beside the Rideau Canal, a day's ride south of Ottawa.  I had made my brew and was sitting beside a picnic table.  A fellow came by, a few years older than me, and said hello.  I greeted him, and asked if he'd like a cuppa.  He said, please and thank you.  I warned him about the condensed milk.  He said that was no problem -- he'd learned to love it at an early age.  His English had a hint of a northern European accent, and I asked him where he'd acquired his taste.  He said he had been born in Holland in the mid-1930s, and came with his family to England in 1939.  His most positive memory of the war, he said, was condensed milk, and he never lost his taste for it.  He was visiting from Alberta with three generations of his family, and was chuffed to find another old fart with whom he could share a cup of tea with condensed milk.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike AylingTo John Saxby

G'day John

I would have to knock back your offer of a cuppa sweetened with condensed milk. When I entered the work force in South Africa in 1961 the tea lady/person was entrenched in every work place. I worked in a small Chartered Accountants practice and the tea person/messenger/general factotum was a Zulu man who delivered a cuppa to your desk twice a day. I was unable  to convince him that with sugar did not mean about three spoons so I went cold turkey and had my tea without sugar from that time. Fast forward about 30 years in Australia when tea persons were long since made redundant and I was working with an Indian man who used two teabags in his mug and left them to steep for about  five minutes. He liked his tea strong!

Cheers

Mike

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike AylingTo Jean-Marc Strydom

Hi Jean-Marc

Is a "Cold Castle" still one of the popular brands?

Mike 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Mike Ayling

Very much so, although it has been surpassed by the crisper tasting Castle Light (which is actually hardly light being only one percent by volume less than Castle itself).  There is also Castle Free (0%) which has a flavour that is reminiscent of wet cardboard as is best avoided.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Leo WoodlandTo Mike Ayling

Wine is fine... but only for cleaning old lamps and bike chains. You can drink all mine.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago