Covid Travel Restrictions Map - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Covid Travel Restrictions Map

Karen Cook

Hi Everyone,

I ran across this link from AAA for current travel restrictions in the US of A.  I thought it might be useful?

If anyone has other resources I would be interested.  As far as I can tell many public campgrounds are opening up but only for those with reservations? 

Although I have several ideas and options for summer trips I likely won't decide until the very last minute, based on the obvious....

AAA Covid Travel Restrictions Map

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Karen Cook

The map shows travel restrictions in my Oregon county but I'm not aware of any travel restrictions. I think the only meaningful restrictions for US bicycle travelers are in Indian reservations.

I want to do a tour mostly in California in May. The tour is definitely doable but I'm still debating if I WANT to do it if some counties don't allow indoor dining. Presently 3 counties on the route are in the highest risk level. I'm optimistic that it will be better 2 months from now, but not certain...

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
John PescatoreTo Wayne Estes

For Montgomery County, MD that map states travel restrictions but the only thing that exists is a broad order from December 2020 that says travelers coming into MD should either get a covid test or quarantine "as the Secretary deems medically necessary and reasonable" but the guidance from the Secretary of Health says:

"This requirement only applies to travelers with Maryland as
their final destination. It does not apply to interstate or international
travelers passing through Maryland to another state, including by
ground transportation, air or rail. "

So, really not required for through-travelers, anyway.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
George HallTo Wayne Estes

How strongly are travel restrictions enforced on Indian reservations?  I'm planning on either riding the Transam (most likely) or the Northern Tier this year - are either of them "blocked' by travel restrictions across Indian reservations?  I have had both does of the vaccine - is there an exception for that? 

Buddy Hall

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Wayne EstesTo George Hall

Buddy,

The indigenous US tribes are a top priority for vaccinations because they have such a high death rate from COVID. By summer you can expect the reservations to be fully vaccinated and open to travel.

Most Indian reservations are small enough that it's easy for a traveling cyclist to plot an alternate route around the reservation. Last summer the most troublesome travel closures were in the Navajo and Blackfeet reservations which are large and inconvenient for a cyclist to go around.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Karen CookTo Wayne Estes

Good morning,

Right now California is opening up.  I think as long as the variants are under control, and vaccine distribution stays on the current trajectory, restaurants will be open to partial indoor dining and, for sure, outdoor dining.

I will be keeping my my eye on hiker biker campsites at state and national parks though (such as Yellowstone). 

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Karen CookTo George Hall

Hi Buddy,

Will you be keeping a journal about your cross country trip?

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Karen Cook

FYI readers,

Link to the web site that shows California's COVID restrictions by county:

California COVID restrictions by county

Link to the web site that shows Oregon's COVID restrictions by county:

Oregon COVID restrictions by county

Currently every county in the state of Washington is in the low risk category.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
George HallTo Karen Cook

Yes, I will.   Long story, but - I'm unsure whether I'm riding the Transam or the Northern Tier, even though my departure is just a bit over a month away!   The plan is to ride the Transam - I have ridden it before (2015, solo) and so if I were traveling solo I would ride the N Tier this time, but my sister and bro-in-law want to go along, and the Transam will be a much better experience for a 1st-timer coast-to-coast cyclist - so the Transam is the current plan, but some things are happening that may keep them from going, and if that happens I will change plans at the last minute and ride the N Tier instead.  Convoluted story, but you know - that's life. 

So the plan is to ride the Transam, and using my experience and recent journals of others I have laid out an itinerary for the entire crossing!  If they can't go and I make a last-minute change, I will have zero planning in advance for the N Tier.  Zero planning may be just as good as a complete plan, because in 2015 I had planned out about the 1st 10 days and it all fell apart on Day 3 anyway!  In 2015 I rode it in 10 weeks, and frankly that's a bit fast for comfort with a fully-loaded touring bike - so this time I have planned out a 12.5 week crossing which is much more of a "normal" pace and will be more realistic for my 2 accomplices.    That will still be challenging at times, but this time no century days on a loaded bike (in 2015 I had 4 100+ mile days).

I think you are also planning on riding a portion of the Transam.  My 2015 journal is currently being ported onto this site from that "other" site, and if it's on the estimated schedule it should be online here about Apr 1 - no joke.  I think it would be a good resource for you.  And who knows - maybe we will meet up on the road somewhere! Best of luck,

Buddy Hall

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo George Hall

Hi George,

We plan on leaving Anacortes June 1st riding a modified Northern Tier, arriving Bar Harbor Sept/Oct....a bit slower than your plan it seems.

Besides researching on the "other site" (we too have been banned to post), two good journals on this site are The First Bite of the Northern Tier and East Glacier to Eastern Maine by Jeffery Waldo and Jackie McKennan.

Happy Travels

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago