Covid Travel Restrictions Map (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Covid Travel Restrictions Map (page 2)

George HallTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Thanks for the journal links - I have already scrolled through most of 1 of them - they will be helpful if I do end up riding the N Tier.  I see you are riding W to E - any particular reason?  

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Karen CookTo George Hall

Hi Buddy,

I rode cross country from San Francisco in 2010 but have never ridden the stretch from Oregon to Pueblo, so that’s what I am thinking about.  Although if I get to Pueblo I would likely keep going for a bit, I actually like riding in Kansas (and Nevada for the record).  I guess I just love wide open spaces. :-)

Anyway, I will be watching how the “cycling infrastructure” is for you, such as camping, church hostels, small town stores, etc. I think I will be doing some portion of SOME route for sure.  But the final decision will likely be last minute.  I am going to keep an eye on covid of course, will watch people (like you) who start earlier than me.  I also have one more fly in the ointment as far as planning which my Covid rescue dog that I adopted in August when her owner died.  "Wags" (a lumbering, goofy retriever) is 12 and her health is starting to deteriorate.  I want to make sure she is well taken care of.  That may mean starting later or taking multiple shorter trips or a combination of the two.  But she weighs 70 pounds so I am NOT going to lug her up Lolo pass ;-)

But either way I can’t wait to start reading about people on the road!  Won’t be long now.

BTW I think not doing much planning is also fun, if you decide to do the Northern Tier.  I usually plan, because it’s fun, especially in the off season when I am getting excited about the summer season, but sometimes it feels more of an adventure when I am just winging it.   Either way you will have fun!

Karen

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo George Hall

Buddy,

We traversed Navajo Nation last summer. They had nightly 8 PM curfews (no problem for a tired cyclist) and weekend lockdowns. Ironically, we were scheduled to enter Navajo Nation on a Friday. I called the police department in Chinle and Kayenta and explained our situation - traveling by bicycle - no quick crossing  and no easy way to go around. I was told we 'probably' would be allowed to continue and not be turned around. We decided it would be less anxiety producing to slow down our pace so we entered the nation on a weekday. All was fine.

We did not do as well once we got to the Blackfoot Nation in Montana. The nation owns/controls St Mary and Babb. All lodging in those towns were closed. Period. We had to stay on the west side of the mountains and ended our trip at  Eureka, MT. 

The Blackfoot Nation is a closure that could effect you.

I hope you will be able to post a live journal - we are all ready to follow along! Tailwinds.

Kelly

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Robert EwingTo Wayne Estes

Looked last week and many Oregon State CGs are open with some restrictions. The most common item was hiker/biker campsites are closed in all the campground I checked.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Karen CookTo Robert Ewing

I hope they open them up (Hiker biker) by summer.

I wonder what they will do if you show up at a campground at dusk and the HB site is closed?

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Robert EwingTo Karen Cook

My guess (only a guess) all or most of the Oregon SPs will be open without restrictions by mid summer.  Oregon gets something like 1/2 a billion dollars a year from bicycle touring.  A lot of those $$$ are spent in small towns often pasts by big RVs. The incentive is there to open up. It will depend on the covid numbers.

At least those are my hopes. I'm planning a ride exploring the Oregon Coast Range late this summer.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Karen CookTo Robert Ewing

Yeah I am thinking that too.  I hope.  Fingers crossed.

My memory of the hiker biker sites along the Oregon coast are fabulous!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago