Journal Comments - Central America - CycleBlaze

From Central America by Ken Dyckman

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on Boquete to Las Lajas

Weather underground does give actual zoomable movement of storms. Since it is radar, there must be actual precipitation to show. Lots of neat stuff to play with. Between it and windy.com, weather has become less of an issue for me.

Ken Dyckman replied to a comment by Rich Frasier on Boquete to Las Lajas

Thanks Rich!!

Ken Dyckman replied to a comment by Bill Shaneyfelt on Boquete to Las Lajas

Thanks Bill. I did not know about that, but I was referring to a real-time storm cloud app like: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acmeaom.android.myradar&hl=en&gl=US&pli=1

Its like the radar on the new stations, and you can zoom right in to where you are at on the map with the GPS, and see the last couple hours of storm cloud movement. It has proven to be invaluable to me in the states to avoid rain clouds there. Really nice app.

Rich Frasier commented on Boquete to Las Lajas

You're on the home stretch now. Good luck tomorrow!

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on Boquete to Las Lajas

Radar?

Ken Dyckman commented on San Vito, CR to Volcan, Panama

That's very insightful, Rich - to consider what opportunities might be missed by stuffing every day with riding for riding's sake. Thanks for the wisdom and kind words of encouragement!

Rich Frasier commented on San Vito, CR to Volcan, Panama

Hi Ken - you asked for opinions on getting a ride. I’m one of the wimpiest cycle tourists on this site, but I’ll tell you that for me, you didn’t “cheat” at all. The only way to cheat in cycle touring is to cheat yourself by not doing something you want to do.

You’re having an amazing adventure and I’m awe-struck at everything you’ve done. It’s all part of the adventure. Whether you pedal every friggin inch or not won’t matter when you’re sitting in your chair at 95 years old reminiscing.

Looking forward to how this trip ends. Hang in there!

Ken Dyckman commented on a photo in Palmar Norte to San Vito

Indeed, Bill! I was just hoping that I didn't catch one of those edges on my back tire split and dig in worse. I suspect I did though just by statistics, but it seems to be okay still.

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Palmar Norte to San Vito

Oh how I dislike that surface on bridges!

Ken Dyckman commented on Jaco and Extreme Canyoning

Thank you Greg! I wish you were with me here, buddy! There are times I'd like to keep going to Argentina, but then there is work, and it would be an easier decision if I weren't married; I miss not experiencing some of this with my wife.

Gregory Garceau commented on Jaco and Extreme Canyoning

All I've got to say is this: Your Central America journal has been uniquely adventurous and a joy to read. I wish you didn't have to stop in Panama.

Steve Miller/Grampies commented on a photo in Montezuma beach to Puntarenas

Beats the h... out of us-Bill?

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Rivas Nicaragua to Coco Beach, Costa Rica

Caracara

2 weeks ago
Steve Miller/Grampies commented on a photo in Leon to Granada, Nicaragua

At least on a bicycle you are on the protected side of things.

3 weeks ago
Ken Dyckman commented on a photo in Finally left Zacapa! To Santa Ana, El Salvador

Thanks for all your comments and knowledge of the plants here, Bill!

3 weeks ago