Zumaia to San Sebastián - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

October 20, 2023

Zumaia to San Sebastián

A short ride to the train

We hung out in the hotel room this morning debating our options. Looking out the window it was  blustery and weather forecasts indicated rain. There had been some rain already this morning but more like passing showers. At 11:00, although it was not yet raining, we decided to see about a scheduled rail service to San Sebastián . Our research indicated  that trains were not operating from Zumaia due to downline track repairs being completed but a bus would take us to Zarautz, about 12 kms away, where we would then get the commuter rail service to San Sebastián. Scott suggested we skip the bus and cycle the dozen kilometres on the coastal highway. This would also give us an opportunity to see a bit of Zarautz before catching the train for the last 20 kms.  The clouds were parting at the moment so we grabbed our bikes and started riding. 

Our hotel is situated on a cliff above the water. The skies were breaking up as we were preparing to leave. This view is looking south.
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of the cliffs looking north.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The coastal road leaving Zumaia is a highway with a shoulder. The road was dry and the vehicle traffic was continuous but not heavy. It was a nice ride but Pat prefers less highway riding so catching a train when going into larger urban centres is often planned. We stopped at the large beach in Zauritz and watched some school kids learning to surf on the small waves. It reminded us of our time a Hanalei Bay in Hawaii when we tried surfing. It is harder than it looks!

Waterfront Zumaia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Built in Zumaia and launched in 2022 the Edda Goelo serves as a mother vessel for technicians as they perform maintenance work on offshore wind turbines.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving Zumaia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our road on the rugged coast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Small seaside town of Getaria and the Island of San Anton. San Anton is attached to the mainland by a breakwater.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our road along the coast. Scott thinks that it was a nice ride.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back at San Anton also known also as Getaria's mouse because of its form. It does look like a bit like mouse from this angle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beach rock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking toward Zarautz and its large beach. You can ride a bike path into town from here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Outdoor tidal fed swimming pool with a high diving board and totally unrestricted access! We found this amazing as the water at low tide looks to be about 6 feet deep. No warning or caution signs anywhere! Europe is so different that way.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Surf`s Up!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Barry DevlinDefinitely surfing is a hard activity to master!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Nice long promenade at Zarautz. The island in the distance is now looking a lot like a mouse.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Very easy to take the bikes on and off at the small Zarautz staiton.
Heart 1 Comment 0
End of the line. This is why trains are not running from Zumaia to Zarautz. It looks like a new station with double tracks is being built.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenThis made me laugh out loud. You weren’t taking a train through there!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
There were lots of seats on board and a surprising number of bikes for the few spaces available.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The train station was easy to locate as most are in the centre of town. The schedule operated every 30 minutes and we were on our way just as passing rain showers arrived. We were glad to be on the train especially when we saw our planned route beside the rail line was a dirt path. That did not look very promising. 

The train took about 30 minutes to arrive in San Sebastian. The main station was really easy to get out of and we cycled down along the Urumea River to where it flows into the sea. The skies were dark and gloomy as we found our hotel and settled in for the night. We had great success finding a restaurant where Pat had spinach stuffed cannelloni and Scott, a meat moussaka. For dessert we had the old standard - Tiramisu. We have booked two nights here as it is almost certain to rain tomorrow.

Maria Cristina Bridge opened in 1905. On the bridge are four monumental obelisks, located at its ends, copies of the Alexander III bridge in Paris.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Happy to be here and dry in San Sebastián.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Zurriola Bridge is last crossing of the Urumea River before it empties into the sea. The tide was really low at this point. They actual surf in this river at its mouth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Living it up in San Sebastian.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 911 km (566 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0