The beginning - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2023

The beginning

We are sometimes asked, where do you plan to go next?  Our answer may provide one of the many interesting places to ride in  Europe, but we really have no idea. As summer comes to a close and the weather begins to change, Scott gets serious about developing tour ideas  for the fall and begins to bounce the suggestions off Pat. Warm weather (is dry too much to ask for?) it is critical to us, and so is staying south of 49 degrees (where we live). Exploring  places that are new is always high on the list. Adding some challenging (but not too challenging) geography, as well as nice cycling roads are also important. With all this in mind, we both agreed that a tour starting in  Toulouse and riding in a round about way into Spain's Basque country ticked all the boxes. 

The plan is to roughly following the purple line.
Heart 5 Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearySo envious ! You are off again ! Will enjoy following along as usual. Spain is a great cycling destination.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick O'HaraYippee. Looks like a great itinerary. Looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

You would think with the number of these cycling excursions under our belts that it would be routine to get ready for a tour. Not. It always comes down to a mad scramble of house and garden preparations, dentist appointments, hair cuts, nail prep for some, bike repairs, equipment replacements, clothes purchases and trip planning details. We keep threatening that one day we will create a master list of everything that is needed for a tour but we have not. Instead, we think of it as a giant  puzzle.   Days in advance we start methodically emptying drawers and closets of our tour kit and creating piles of the necessary items around the house. (Thank goodness we do not camp!) This stuff will be amalgamated and organized into four panniers. Tough decisions are necessary when we realize it does not all fit.  The Bike Fridays will be broken down and stored into suitcases. The taxi will be scheduled and the tour will anxiously begin. We get most things right but there are always the missed items and the clothes that we  did not need or those that we had wished we had packed. It is all part of the touring game.

Over the years we have improved our tour planning techniques to suit us. Scott, by nature, is a logistical planner. His methods are fairly established using various map files and loading them onto Garmin's Basecamp software. He then builds a route often using Google maps to have a closer look at the roads. The planned tour map is then uploaded onto a Garmin 1030 device to keep us daily on track. Changes to our planned route are made  as needed on a Microsoft Surface Go. We would be remiss not to thank the Cycleblazers whose blogs we have consulted about travels in Northern Spain. The usual suspects include: The Andersons, Patrick O'Hara, Jacquie Gaudet, Steve Miller and the Maher-Wearys. Mainland Spain is new to us so reviewing your travels was most helpful.

We continue to use the Bike Fridays as our go to machines. They are very reliable and we have replaced many of the components over the years. They still perform very well for this purpose and their airline friendly suitcases can travel as checked bags. We did have Pat's rear Dual drive hub serviced at Rat City Bikes, an expert on these hubs, while in Seattle this summer. As well,  we have replaced two of our Arkel panniers that were showing signs of wear. Other than that, there is little changed for this tour. 

Sturdy three speed internal hub removes the need for a front derailleur and provides a significant range with 27 total gears. It is also comforting to know that it has been totally rebuilt. The owner of Rat City Bikes insisted that I watch as he tore the unit down, cleaned it and put it back together. Some new parts were needed to complete the process.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraA very cool technology.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Our Bike Fridays in touring mode.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We fly out this weekend and begin with three days in Toulouse before starting our ride heading north toward the Tarn River. Thanks for following along.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Scott AndersonFirst time in Spain! I predict that when you’re done you’ll wonder what took you so long. Have a fantastic tour.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenLooking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott FenwickTo Kathleen ClassenKatheen,

and I am keeping up with you at the same time! So far so good. Looking forward to what is next in the CN's grand plan. Thanks for following.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott FenwickTo Scott AndersonYes first time in Spain as I am not counting two stays in Barcelona and of course our rides in Mallorca! But this will be our first real touring experience in mainland Spain. Have enjoyed reading about your travels in the country so far. It looks wonderful.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Jacquie GaudetI enjoy riding in Spain though the mealtime issue can be annoying. Eating your main meal at the Spanish lunch hour works best, imo. Of course, Spanish and French mealtimes are different…
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Brad SharpGiddyup !
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Barry DevlinIf you get a chance, take a small detour and come have some pasta with us in Venice. Have fun!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rachael AndersonSounds like a great tour! I look forward to hearing how your internal hub works out.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Caroline McDowellWe're currently planning a trip between Bilbao and Hendaye, so your blog has been brilliant! Thanks for all the tips and photos. Found it on a random Google search, but will look out for your further travels!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago