The End - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2023

The End

We have been home for about three weeks now and have settled back into reality. We sometimes laugh about the disconnected feeling we have and alternate reality we're in when out riding our bikes! For our first week at home the weather was warm and sunny, making the transition from 22 degree days in southern France a bit easier.  But now we are squarely into the west coast rainy season which fortunately will bring snow to the mountains in BC. We already have time booked at several mountains as well as passes on a local mountain. Skiing should keep us focused until we can return to Europe in the Spring.   

Rainy days bring powder snow.
Heart 3 Comment 0


By all accounts our tour into the Basque country was a great success even with its very rocky start. We feel quite fortunate that our delayed bikes and bags arrived within the short time that we had planned to stay in Toulouse.  Starting the tour with few easy riding days was a great way to begin and the tour planner has taken note for future planning.  If we could also plan the outstanding weather, we would definitely keep that the same, too. Our only two days of rain fit perfectly within our planned “two nights” stays in Bilbao and San Sebastian. We had few surprises other than to the upside with great rides through the Pyrénées mountains and up Mount Jaizkibal. In fact, most of the rides in Spain were challenging and rewarding. We also had many memorable overnight stays in small towns in Spain with Zumaia and Lekeitio as stand outs. We did struggle (fight) with booking.com on a couple of occasions but are starting to accept that issues are bound to occur when multiple bookings need to be arranged. As our way of protest, we are now trying to book directly with hotels when possible. We have also noticed that things are getting more expensive in Europe or maybe Pat is just looking for better quality hotels!

Our Bike Fridays continue to punch above their weight. They both performed perfectly without any concerns. Pat’s Dual Drive hub rebuild was also without issue and we did not encounter a single flat tire on the whole tour! The bikes have now been rescued from their suitcases and both seem to have returned in good order as well. With a bit of cleaning and inspecting, they will be ready for the next tour. Scott will likely install new cassettes and chains to keep them running smoothly. One issue is that the suitcases have been taking a real beating - to the point where a small hole has now developed where the nut on Pat’s rear axle is poking through the shell. This will need to be remedied.

Pat and Scott and their beloved Bike Fridays.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Some stats:
• 21 days of riding
• 980 kms logged on Ride with GPS
• 10,733 total vertical metres climbed
• Too many beer selfies to count

By most Cycleblaze bloggers' standards, 31 days is a pretty short tour.  As idyllic as the touring life style is, we do find the daily activities involved in touring can be quite intense.  After four weeks on the road, we are always about ready to sleep in our own beds and have a home cooked meal. But in six months we are ready to do it all again. If everything goes as planned you will likely see us back out on the road next May. So – “where are you going next?” ……… we really have no idea but you will be the first to know!

See you next time!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Betsy EvansThanks for the trip report! Let me know if you get to Revelstoke this winter. 😀
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith Adams"By most Cycleblaze bloggers' standards, 31 days is a pretty short tour."

I've learned that's about the upper limit of my interest level, before at least a short break is in order.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago