In San Sebastián - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

October 20, 2023

In San Sebastián

A wet and windy day

The rain had caught up to us in San Sebastián. It actually worked out very well and gave us a "rest and get ready" day. Our hotel was very comfortable so it was ideal for the rest part of the equation. The get ready part required some laundry and downstream day planning. We are coming to the end of our amazing tour and final details need to be, well, finalized - hotels, trains and planes. And rainy days are good for that.

With the get ready stuff out of the way, we borrowed an umbrella from the hotel and went looking for some lunch. We did not have to go far when we stumbled on a very popular restaurant and went inside. We were told that the table that we chose was only available until 15:00 hours but that was fine as it would provide an hour for our lunch. We used  all of that time! Our lunch started with a lightly battered fried hake chunks and peppers. Our neighbour`s dish looked so good we had to have one! We often find that this is the best way to order when you cannot read the menu.  Next up was  sardines and salmon tapas. We  finished  the lunch with a very large piece of cheesecake as we had read that this crustless delight was invented in San Sebastián. Wow, was it good! Afterward, we carried on down to the water front.

Staying dry.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bodega Donostiarra has an English menu, too. Pat is laughing as she can actually read this one.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It is a busy lively place in the afternoon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One brave sole. It was blowing so hard that parts of the sea wall were barricaded off.
Heart 6 Comment 0
This swell was running up in the Urmea River
Heart 4 Comment 0
Low tide and we watched the waves go under the Zurriola bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Holding tightly to the umbrellas while walking beside the Urumea River.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the heart of the Old Town is the Plaza de la Constitución. Until the 1940s, its central building was the City Hall of San Sebastián.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yum! Cheese cake.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonSpain really does have some great cheese cake!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
KAREN JONESOMG now I want some...
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

In the early evening the weather was lightning up and we headed to the waterfront to watch the waves crashing into the coast. The wind was howling as we walked on San Sebastián`s impressive sea wall. Seeking refuge, we headed into the shopping district. As you would expect from a large tourist area, it was impressive for those that do not travel with pannier limitations!  The wind was relentless and as we headed  into the old center. There were lots of small tapas bars here and we chose a very small  establishment . We had great seats watching the bar tender and customers with their orders. So many great tasty things to choose from! 

Lightning up, but you can see the power of the wind on the water in the river!
Heart 2 Comment 0
San Sebastián has a very beautiful promenade, the Paseo de la Concha. But it was so windy it was hard to stay out on it for long.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Paseo de la Concha borders the Bahía de la Concha.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very beautiful on a stormy evening.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some surfers were out trying to catch some waves.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Heading home back across the Zurriola bridge again, the tide was high and the water was rushing up the Urumea.  You could tell that with a big wave the water would splash the road above, but we did not stay long enough to get wet. 

Another look at the Urumea bridge at night. It is high tide now and some waves are crashing at its base and sending spray up onto the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow, the weather forecast is for a great improvement and we are back on the bikes and leaving Spain for Saint-Jean-de-Luz in France. This tour planner knows his stuff!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0