Lekeitio to Zumaia - I'll get on back home one of these days - CycleBlaze

October 18, 2023

Lekeitio to Zumaia

Along the coast and a much better ride today

We walked down to the marina area in Lekeitio for some breakfast pintxos and our coffee this morning. The bar was lively and a great place to start the  day. We were not in a hurry today as our distance and elevation to Zumaia was a lot less than yesterday`s ride. The weather was mixed conditions but the forecast was to stay dry. We have been so lucky with the weather, mid October and such warm conditions. It will be hard to leave!

Our bikes were loaded and we were moving up a slight hill on our way out of town  by 11 o`clock. The views of the small town and the beaches were amazing - only to be matched by what was likely the best 10kms of riding on this tour! We hugged the coast  on a serpentine road with almost no vehicle traffic, I think the count was four cars total!  Scott crossed back and forth across the lanes getting pictures. It was a perfect road to ride.

Sun setting from our balcony. Sailor`s delight?
Heart 1 Comment 0
A morning shot off a bonus second balcony that I did not even know was there until I pulled back a curtain. I should look around the room more carefully!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Same balcony, early morning as the sun rises.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more since I just discovered this place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down by the beach. It is so perfect here in mid October, we must come back for a couple of weeks some time.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonSo should we. Great shot.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Our hotel is the three buildings combined. A very interesting design!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The marina breakwater leaving Independence plaza is a nice morning stroll.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful buildings in Lekeitio. Love those windows!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast bar. Lively and fun. A young man taught me how to order a double espresso. It was very good but I doubt that I could say it in spanish again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pat looking at the many open topped fishing boats in the marina. Or maybe she is wondering how we get over that hill?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Top of the church beside the plaza.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking on water.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The walk out to San Nicolas Island is now visible as the tide is going down.
Heart 4 Comment 0
So cool at low tide.
Heart 5 Comment 0
San Nicolas Island. Wow, what a great place to explore.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Morning sun on Lekeitio with dark clouds behind it. There was a bit of a rain shower.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The bottom left corner of the plaza is where we stopped after our ride yesterday.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One last picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lekeitio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lekeitio`s second beach just beyond the town - Karraspio which is the quieter one. Maybe three people?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rainbow as we were leaving town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pat waiting patiently on our coastal road out of town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Up and down.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Paint on the road encouraging the road racers.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraRIP Gino Mader! Sad to see his name on the road.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
No encouragement needed here but we are not trying to be fast. This was an interesting wall of rock.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Barry DevlinAll walls of rocks are interesting!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Down around the corner... there were lots of them!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water stop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Many views of the coast.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This road was popular with the roadies. I would ride it all the time if I lived here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached the end of our quiet coastal road at Ondarroa and joined a highway to Deba. Getting close to Deba there was a nice pedestrian / cycle path that followed along the coast. In Deba we stopped for lunch and looked at our route options going forward. One - was the highway and Two - was a shorter route behind the town. The short road behind the town of Deba would meet up with the highway and we chose the IMPOSSIBLY STEEP route out the back of Deba. In retrospect, I am not sure that this was the right choice as we pushed our bikes up the almost the entire 200+ metre elevation gain. Check out the ride with GPS Map. That hill is almost straight up. In just over a kilometre we gained almost 200 metres vertical! The math says 20% grade and it was.

At the highway we found a wide shoulder and a smooth ride the rest of the way to Zumaia. We really enjoyed this downhill and the road was not at all busy.

After 10km you reach Ondarroa which is much more industrial than you would expect. Ondarroa is located on the estuary of the river Artibai. It is an interesting town as the river meanders behind the town and provides a completely different look from the other side.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Big trucks taking tight corners do not make it in one go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bridge in Ondarroa.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The backside of Ondarroa on the Artibai river. It looks like a much prettier town from this view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Old bridge across the Artibai river.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Ondarroa.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Ondarroa - just another beautiful, empty beach in Northern Spain.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another town that we rode through - Munriku.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Significantly reinforced breakwater at Mutriku potentially influenced by the likelihood of bigger storms.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our coastal road.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A closer look at the rock formations.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Barry DevlinLove the rock formations - sedimentary my dear Watson.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Arriving into Deba. We stopped for lunch in park beside the river. That is quite a big hill behind the town isn`t it?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love these ladders down to the boats. At low tide it would not be easy to get your boating gear up and down these steps.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Fish sculpture collecting plastics.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More big beautiful beach. A road up is also visible but we did not take this nicely graded route.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back at the unrideable road we chose out of Deba.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leaving Deba. Yes, we both walked the bikes. It was so steep!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Great views come with the great pain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice donkey at the top of the hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The coastal hills on the way back to the ocean.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Riding downhill fast this guy blew right past us but, as always, with a friendly, ¨OLA!¨
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great road and beautiful trees in autumn colours.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Reaching our destination of Zumaia today, we were a bit confused as to where our hotel was located. We stopped for a beer to get our bearings and then proceeded up a well designed pedestrian path toward our hotel. It soon became very obvious why we choose this hotel and location. I will let the pictures tell the story.

False end. Unbelievably, we did not know what was just around the corner!
Heart 5 Comment 0
This was the true end of our ride today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Instagram moment at Itzurun Beach, Zumaia. But more importantly for our geological friends and family, ¨it is situated among the longest set of continuous rock strata in the world. These formations are termed flysch and they date from the mid-cretaceous period to the present, a time period of over 100 million years¨.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Barry DevlinGeology rocks!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Not a bad looking beach either.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wet feet.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wet head.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Great surf.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Washing machine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Survived ...Bond, James Bond.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Pat survived, too!
Heart 3 Comment 0
A perfect end to a great day.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraHow was the temperature of the water in mid-October?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Scott FenwickTo Patrick O'HaraPatrick, it may not be warm like the Mediterranean but not nearly as cold as the west coast Pacific. Really, you could easily stay in the water as long as you would like. It was truly very nice swimming.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The surf was perfect for the boogie boarders. They were having a blast!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow`s weather forcast is not so promising as we continue north to Donostia / San Sebastián. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 896 km (556 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Scott AndersonYou’re killing me. Why haven’t we gone back to this coast again in almost ten years?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Anne MathersThis brings back memories of a fantastic tour through the Pyrenees and Basque country in 2018. We rode the reverse of this from Getaria to Lekeitio. You might want to have a stop at the Ballenciaga museum in Getaria. It’s world-class.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kelly IniguezCould you please include the name of your hotel? The views are stunning!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Scott FenwickHi Kelly,
It was the Hotel & Talasoterapia Zelai

It is a bit of a small town with a great beach. Not really a touristy place. If you are in Zumaia I am not sure that there would be a better place to stay.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Scott FenwickTo Anne MathersThanks Anne, we would have never guessed. You just can never do enough research! Sorry that we missed it. Another place for the next time around.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry DevlinWow - that's a steep climb!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago