Mount Tabor and around - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2020

Mount Tabor and around

When I returned from coffee this morning, Rachael was suited up and just about to head out on her bike.  Surprised by this, I reminded her of her advice to trust the weather report outside the window more than the one on her electronic device.  Seeing that it was lightly raining out, she quickly changed her plans.

 Once the light drizzle finally ceased at midday, she decided to give herself a break from the bike and take a nice walk to Mount Tabor and on east to Graham Butte instead.  She returned four hours and fourteen miles later, tired and sore and wondering why she keeps pushing herself so hard.

Taking a day off the bike sounded like a good idea to me too - these epic tree quest rides are killers - so I decided to walk to Mount Tabor myself as well.  And then, sensibly, I chose to just walk back home instead of knocking myself out by continuing on for another eight or nine miles.  Very nice.  I took the camera of course, and took a few random shots on no particular theme.

Like on yesterday’s outing, I had my eye out today for radiant subjects. Not so hard to find, really. What an unchallenging challenge this month!
Heart 4 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltAlways been intrigued by the way darker streaks fan out from the center on rose of sharon. Raindrops add interest.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYou’re right about it being a Rose of Sharon. I just picked up the PictureThis app, and it agrees with you.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltI have an older sister and 4 younger sisters. As kids we made "dolls" out of them.
Well, darn it all. I just went next door and picked one and a bud to make a doll and took a photo, but can't post the photo here. Pick a bud about to open and keep the stem on, pull off two of the green pieces (sepals) , pick a flower (or get one about to fall off to make it easier) and take off the stem, poking a tiny hole to push the stem of the bud into, and there you have it!

Anyway, it works with other mallows like hollyhocks (what we used as kids) too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvaceae
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe this link will be a work-around...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10223073819730016&set=a.10222497888132086&type=3&theater
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Radiant subject #2 for the day: the Southern Globethistle, per the PictureThis app I just installed.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Also radiant, if you look at it the right way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nothing special. Just a house finch, a bird you see everywhere.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very stylish. Looks choreographed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
I’ve never paid much attention to this statue of Harvey Scott at the crown of Mount Tabor before, or been very impressed with the subject itself, an influential conservative voice from over a century ago. We’re taking a second look now though because I’ve learned that the statue was created in 1933 by Gutsan Borglum, the sculptor who also created the monumental works at Mount Rushmore and Stone Mountain. I suspect some of his works are among those that are being torn down now across the country.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A radiant big leaf maple leaf, Mount Tabor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bushtit, one of a small flock that passed by, briefly alighting near me and pausing just long enough for me to get a mediocre shot. Cute birds,but frustrating.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A red breasted nuthatch, Mount Tabor. Unusual to see one briefly land in the middle of the road. Not much of a photo, but I was pleased to read up on it in Cornell’s All About Birds and learn where the nuthatch gets its name: “They get their common name from their habit of jamming large nuts and acorns into tree bark, then whacking them with their sharp bill to “hatch” out the seed from the inside.“
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltBest bird website I have found! Lots of info. logically laid out for easy navigation and good pictures. Here is a good internet address for anyone interested:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/search
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltGood pictures, good audio, good maps. Everything about it works well. I especially like the wealth of interesting facts and details like this one.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Image not found :(
In Mount Tabor Park. I’m surprised to see that some of the big leaf maples are exfoliating already.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
A curious little backyard structure. Bird feeder?
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the neighborhood. It’s really refreshing to wander the streets of Portland after spending much of the last four months in rural country. Much more uplifting than Hillary for Prison signs.
Heart 4 Comment 0

It’s date night tonight!  Our plan is to dine out at Nostrana, a fairly upscale Italian restaurant not far from here; and then retire to our chamber to watch the next episode of Frankie Drake, our current miniseries.

Nostrana hasn’t been open for dine-in service for very long now, and actually tonight is the first night for service under their large new canopy that occupies half of their parking lot.  A delicious meal, but a somewhat odd and almost alienating dining experience.  I thought we’d save a few photos to remind ourselves of an aspect of what life was like at this point in time.

We’ve probably dined out at a dozen different places over the last two months.  They’re all very careful about the basics - masks, personal distance, obsessive cleanliness, more often than not outdoors - but they all have their own take.  Nostrana is at an extreme end, I would say.  They go to great lengths to minimize human contact and interaction - you’re really just there for the meal itself, not really for a dining experience in the familiar sense.

We’re outdoors, under the tent. There’s only one other occupied table. At either corner of the canopy stands a service worker to bring bottled water and silverware and answer questions. Next to us is a side table, where masked servers will drop our meal while still maintaining a safe distance.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Instructions for placing our order, which we do over the phone to minimize human contact. We order and pay up front, so at the end of the meal we just stand up and leave when we’re done.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Goat cheese-stuffed pappardelle, with prosciutto and spicy pepper crema. Besides the meal itself, notice the plate - it’s recyclable.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Grilled chicken, polenta and broccolini.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jen RahnWow! Nostrana has put a lot of thought into safe processes.

Just saw an article about restaurant-related outbreaks in Colorado .. so it's comforting to see this level of care, bizarre as it seems.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bob DistelbergSo Rachael, I'm impressed that on your 'day off', you go off and hike 14 miles.
And I agree with Jen, it's nice to see how the restaurant is taking things seriously. We still haven't quite got our heads around going out to eat.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bob DistelbergWell it was a day off the saddle. I really enjoyed most of the walk but I definitely had some sore muscles.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago