In Zagreb: another day ride to the south - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2020

In Zagreb: another day ride to the south

So, only four days into the tour and I’m already falling behind with th3 journal.  I won’t have it!  This is all you get today, and be happy with it: just photos and captions.  And our first video!!

Passing by the art museum on our way out of the city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another look at the Sava River, looking west toward Slovenia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Zagreb is bordered to the south by a broad swale planted largely in corn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking south. The hills begin in a few miles, and continue all the way to the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Continuing south. After about ten miles we finally leave the city and lowlands behind. It’s green and lumpy from here on until we return toward Zagreb again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Passing the church at Novoselec.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enter a forest reserve and find ourselves on a dirt/gravel road. It’s fine though; our GPS tells us we’ll be back on pavement in a half mile. We can handle that.
Heart 2 Comment 0
No, I don’t know what this structure is. Guard tower, fire lookout?
Heart 3 Comment 6
Jon AylingA hunter's tower, I think! I've seen them in various forms all in wooded areas all around Europe. Never seen a hunter in one, though.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jon AylingDoesn’t seem very sporting. Just for spotting hopefully, or can they shoot from above like that?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen JonesI second Jon's guess. I don't know if they shoot from there or not. I just thought they were for spotting. In Germany they call them hochsitz, or high sit/seat. Is that right, Suzanne?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesMakes sense. Hochsitz is a nice term to know. At first I thought it might be a Garceau with a view, but then I noticed there was no hole in the floor.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesYes, it's a hunter's hide, I'm sure, and they do shoot from there.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen JonesNot sure I'd feel good about riding along there during hunting season. But one positive is you could ride your bike to your Hochsitz.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Here’s that paved road the GPS promised us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Four miles later, still waiting for that paved road to show up. We’ll have to read up on this - maybe paved has a different meaning in Croatian.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Jen RahnMaybe this qualifies as an unmettled road?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnWe did find words for it. I don’t recall what they were exactly though.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
After four and a half miles we finally come to a junction with a paved road. It’s not the direction we were planning on, but plans change. We have a map, and can improvise.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yes, this is much better. The next ten miles bring lovely cycling - smooth pavement, low traffic, gently rolling hills.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As I was just saying.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Near Odranski we break out of the forest and approach the grassy corn belt below the city again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’ve seen stalls selling ears of corn here ever since we arrived, and it looks delicious. Somehow we’ll be leaving the city without testing it out.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetOf course, it could be what my dad called "cow corn", meant for animal fodder. There's lots of it grown in the Fraser Valley--along with the sweet corn we all love.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI think you’re right about that, and it’s mostly bound for the livestock. We should give it a try though.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Video sound track: Spring Lullaby, by Gabriel Lee

After dinner we walk back up to Gradec (the hill Saint Mark’s Church stands upon) for a last look around. This is Kozarska Street.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Zagreb tie shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Graded was originally a separate, walled city. This is the Stone Gate, one of the few remaining parts of the old wall. The interior is also a shrine. From a distance, I thought the nun in prayer inside was a statue until we came closer.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Another look at the colorful tile roof of Saint Mark’s Church, constructed in 1880 (to replace damage from the 1880 earthquake?). On the left is the medieval coat of arms of Croatia, Dalmatia and Slavonia, and on the right is the emblem of Zagreb.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Flagpole and flags, in front of the parliament building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Saints Cyril and Methodists Greek and Catholic Concathedral. Behind is Lotrščak Tower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The facade of Saints Cyril and Methodists Greek and Catholic Concathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another angle on Lotrščak Tower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view north from the Gradec Belvedere.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Descending from Gradec hill.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jen RahnYou probably won't see the guy with the penny farthing riding up this hill ..
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnGood point. I wonder how he does get it up there. It was probably driven up once and stays in a shed all week.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
An appealing cafe scene.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Grič Tunnel, beneath Gornec (gornec is also called Grič, and Gorni Grad). The tunnel is about a quarter mile long, wth four lateral branches connecting various points in the old city. It was built during the Second World War as a bomb shelter, and then used as a shelter again during the Croatian War of Independence from Serbia. It was finally opened to the general public only in 2016.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonGive or take a century.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 39 miles, 1,000’; for the tour: 118 miles, 2,600’

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 118 miles (190 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0