In Bale: a photo gallery - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2020

In Bale: a photo gallery

So you’re not really surprised, I assume.  Of course there’s a photo gallery from our stay in Bale.

Bale, like many interior Istrian towns,  has a deep history.  The current, visible town shows evidence of its time as a fortified Roman town, when it guarded the salt pan road between Pula and Poreč); and of the period when it was part of the Venetian Republic. Beneath all this though is evidence of an older city dating back to the Bronze Age.

Bale is described as a hill town, but it’s a very small hill.  After our previous three stays in the series of Labin, Buzet and Buje it’s a relief to be able to roll into town painlessly - at least until you enter the heart of the town and come to its cobblestones, limestone pavers and gravel alleys.

The town is popular with the bikers, perhaps because it isn’t a gut buster getting up to it.  Also, it’s well located, being only about six miles from the sea and surrounded by beautiful, quiet rural lanes.  Even at this quiet time, there was a Romanian cycling couple staying at our lodging, and we passed a British cycle touring pair this morning on our way out of town.

Like so many places we’ve passed through on this tour, Bale is very quiet now.  Not many folks about, and not many places open.  It allegedly is more vibrant in normal years though, with an artistic community and even a late summer jazz festival.  

The Venetian lion again, over the main gate to the old city.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNice old clock.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Looking out through the main gate. The stairs at the left lead up to our apartment.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bale is surprising for how floral it is. Flowers are everywhere you look.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI used to make "dolls" out of rose of sharon flowers for my daughters. You do it by picking a flower, poking a tiny hole in where the stem was after nipping it off, and picking a bud with its stem and poking the stem into the hole. Then pick off the green on one side of the bud and there is a "face."

Nice memories!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
We haven’t come across many cooperative cats on this tour. We have some catching up to do.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Interesting downspout. More of a down and out spout.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 3 Comment 0
Crushed.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bruce LellmanTime and pressure.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanAshes to ashes, dust to dust.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonWell, this is certainly heading in a bad direction.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Lyle McLeodBeautiful pics, as always. Love the ones of the quirky little details ... shutters, beams and the like. Oh, and of course the cats. Looks like you are having a wonderful time.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Gabriel Staznik staznikJust received this blog from a friend and I could not part from reading until the end. Absolutely wonderful.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Lyle McLeodThanks, Lyle. We are having a wonderful time - or, were. The weather finally changed yesterday with a vengeance and it looks like we may not be able to bike much of anywhere for about a week. We may be stuck here on the beach in this lovely fishing village staring at the waves. Darn.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gabriel Staznik staznikHey, what a kind thing to say! Just the sort of feedback we can use, sitting here listening to the thunder rumble outside and wondering how soon we may be able to ride again. Thanks for joining us.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago