Day 8 Tucson, AZ to Benson, AZ - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 7, 2021

Day 8 Tucson, AZ to Benson, AZ

Heart 1 Comment 1
Margery GassYour mention of the Saguaro National Park prompted me to Google it. Lots of Saguaro photos - in particular one with a bird peeking out of a hole in a Saguaro that I thought might be a nest. Further Googling about birds and Saguaros I learned that Gila woodpeckers and other birds make holes in the cacti to make nests and access water. It was an aha! moment as I realized all these years I thought the holes were deteriorating parts of the cacti! I was relieved to learn they are not.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We went to Saguaro National Park and rode the hilly 9 mile loop.  Beautifully smooth paved road and one way, so no need to worry about  oncoming cars.  You might think it was silly to add a 9 mile loop to our day, but this park is pretty special.

Steep hill warning
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Margery GassLove the configuration of this Saguaro!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Healthy blooming Ocotillo which is a shrub, not a cactus (according to a helpful friend!).
Heart 4 Comment 1
Margery GassSounds grueling - I hope both of you are feeling better!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We then rode ten miles on a gradual uphill into the wind.  It is demoralizing.  Ken has less energy due to his cold, so I tried to push more.  At lunch it was 81 degrees and 9% humidity.  It has been in the 70's until today. The dry heat zapped everyone and of course we are going to have much hotter weather ahead, but Dennis assured me we would be acclimated.  8 miles on the rough frontage road which is the old U.S. 80 (apparently went from San Diego to Savannah)

Heart 1 Comment 0

 then 10 miles on I-10 (which we will essentially follow to FL) and then a great downhill meander into Benson.

What's for dinner in Benson?  The only restaurant open Sunday evening...Mexican ofcourse! 

Heart 3 Comment 1
Barbara Ellis-QuinnWe have eaten there several times. It is a nice place.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 2,334 miles (3,756 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Mike GallagherGlad you caught up with the Nguyen in Tucson. Annie and I have loved living in AZ during this Winter (Oct - Mar) and especially with COVID-life BUT the dry heat has changed our water intake habits 200%.
Sure you guys are staying hydrated. Love the journals!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassWe should have asked you to join us! I didn't think clearly! We are hydrating for sure.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Tifanie TreterFrancie and Ken I loved catching up on your trip today! It looks amazing (and kinda challenging too). Hope that Ken feels better soon. Look forward to staying updated the next few weeks.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steven BanGlad you biked through Saguaro National Park. We visit Jan’s aunt and uncle in Tucson regularly and enjoy the amazing variety of cacti there.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago