Day 18 Marathon, TX to Sanderson, TX - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2021

Day 18 Marathon, TX to Sanderson, TX

Heart 1 Comment 0

My watch malfunctioned until mile 4.  We actually gained 590 ft. but lost over 2,000 ft.  Basically we rode downhill most of the way and had a tailwind most of the way.  So nice!

Every day the ridge outlines are unique
Heart 2 Comment 1
Joann JohnsonLove this picture and that you got a lovely day of downhill! wow, have you earned it!!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We were blessed with very little traffic.  A fun day all around.  

Texas hwy 90
Heart 3 Comment 0
View from our lunch stop
Heart 4 Comment 0

Sanderson has a motel and a convenience store.  Dinner will be at a bar (a drive away)  where the woman owner apparently openly carries a gun in her back pocket.  Really glad Dennis warned us.   aach.

Our 1950's era motel in Sanderson
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are all thankful for these two easy days because tomorrow is the ride we have all been dreading...119 miles. 

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 1,690 miles (2,720 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonGood luck tomorrow. Hope for a favorable wind!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I hope you have good weather and tailwinds. It will be all behind you soon!
I also hope you have a peaceful dinner - it sounds a bit unsettling. But, you all wanted an adventure...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Scott AndersonThank you, Scott!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithDinner was fine...not a bar, but a busy little restaurant and the waitress did indeed have a scary looking gun on her hip.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Fred GassGood luck, K & F! Have a good ride!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bob KingLooks like you’re doing well; crossing the Pecos next, leaving the wild west. Scenery should improve in a few days as you get into the hill country. Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush should be in full bloom.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassOh, thank you for the good " forecast"!
Francie
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steven BanHope you have nothing but westerly winds behind you today. And make sure Dennis gives you a rest stop every 15 miles!
Your pics show an amazingly flat, monotonous landscape (except for the very distant hills). Reminds me of the Skagit Flats Marathon route. It was difficult for me to stay focused and energized, but you seem to be handling it well.
Keep it up...proud of you two!!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago