Day 82: Lopez Island - Western North America - 2005 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2005

Day 82: Lopez Island

Foggy morning. That's to be expected. We decided to bike down to the south side of the island to Agate Beach. Since Jeff is 15 years younger than I and since he has a new skinny-tire bike our paces were quite different. But, as always, Jeff was observant and understanding. Occasionally there was the friendly jab - and I confess that I have spoken with Lucy about her retirement.

MacKaye Harbor near Agate Beach
Heart 1 Comment 0

Regardless of pace, we had another great ride across the island - past the old schoolhouse and pond. Like yesterday, the fog only hugged the shore, so we had sunshine as we biked through field and farm. The rocks of Agate Beach lived up to their promotion entirely. Every color of the rainbow - smoothed by countless waves. Jeff found a perfectly round red-orange stone - I found a bright green one.

Afterwards, we took some still undiscovered roads through fields of wildflowers and freshly-mown hay back to Lopez village. We had some coffee and cinnamon rolls at the outdoor cafe. Too soon, we had to head back to the campsite, pack up our stuff, and bike back to the ferry landing. On the ferry I though that although this was not the ending I had planned, it was just as good, if not better.

It's Either Johnny Gunn or John Travolta
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0