Day 81: Day Off on Lopez Island - Western North America - 2005 - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2005

Day 81: Day Off on Lopez Island

Got up early after very little sleep. Drunk kids were carrying on all last night. I was awfully tempted to get up and have a word with them, but that would have only made things worse. I spent a little while chatting with Pat and Terri, then I went down to the picnic area to wait for Jeff.

While there, I met Neal at the picnic shelter. He and his four sisters were getting ready for their mom's 82nd birthday party. Fantastic! The fog hugged the shoreline, but sunshine bathed the shore itself. Ferries and container ships blasted their foghorns at irregular intervals - all making for a lovely morning.

Miguel - aka Jeff - on the Ferry to Lopez Island
Heart 0 Comment 0

Jeff got in from Portland just before noon. We headed out to the rocks to catch up on old times, then decided to go to Lopez Island. What a fortuitous choice that was. I had never been to Lopez before and it was just perfect. Blue skies, fields of drying grass, bald eagles, and rocky beaches. The village of Lopez was still a village. There were more bicycles than cars. What cars there were drove little faster than the bikes.

A Perfect Little House on a Perfect Little Island
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went down to Shark Reef on the west side and walked along the high bluffs. The tide was rushing in faster than a mountain stream. Sea lions basked on the rocks and islets in the bright sunshine. We came back to our campsite at Spencer Spit and cooked a huge pasta dinner out on the spit as the sun set. Just a perfect day altogether.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0