To Boulder City - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

February 1, 2023

To Boulder City

It’s a fine morning as we pack the Raven for the long drive home.  We’re glad to have good weather for the drive of course, but looking at the warm, sunny days predicted for Tucson in the next two weeks we’ve definitely got mixed feelings about leaving so soon.  If we stayed another week I could definitely make it down to/up into Madera canyon, and we might even give Mount Lemmon a shot.

Not that we aren’t looking forward to the drive home though.  We’ve got almost two weeks before we’re due to arrive in Portland, and we’re spending it nearly entirely in the south where it should still be warm and dry enough for some quality cycling.  Here’s the plan: four nights in Boulder City, three in San Luis Obispo, three in Morro Bay, one in Napa, and then a fast two day drive north at the end.  We’re especially excited about that night in Napa because we’ve lined a CycleBlaze dinner date that we’ll talk about more when the time comes.

Today though, it’s just a six hour drive northwest through the desert.  It’s a fast, smooth ride the whole way with spots of spectacular scenery - especially the Joshua Tree forest and impressive formations south of Wickiup - so we have nothing to complain about; but still, it’s just a drive.  We’re glad to arrive at the end and check in to our cramped quarters at the budget Sands Motel, but already we’re missing our luxurious spread in Tucson.  

Some pics from the road, thanks to Rachael:

Leaving Tucson.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Picacho Peak.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Picacho Peak.
Heart 1 Comment 0
About a half hour from Phoenix we approach a dense, dark fog bank that looks like it could be from a fire. We never really understand what the situation is here, but it only lasts a few miles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking northeast, the tops of what I think must be the Sacaton Mountains rise above the fog.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsCrop dusting gone wild!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsIt looks like that, doesn’t it. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t that though. I think it’s a natural phenomenon, maybe enhanced/darkened by Phoenix’s air quality.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
In the Horseshoe Cafe, Wickenburg.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Horseshoe Cafe.
Heart 5 Comment 0
About 15 miles south of Wickiup on Highway 93, we descend toward the chasm created by Burro Creek. Around the bend to the right is the Burro Creek Bridge, one of the longest arched spans in the southwest. The next time we drive this road I want to remember to drop down to the Burro Creek campground so we can see the bridge itself.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dropping toward Hoover Dam we get an impressive view of the mountains to the west.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rachael, we’re not in Tucson any more. It’s going to be a cramped stay for the next four nights.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hey Bill - how many varieties of lichen do we have here? It seems different in Nevada somehow.
Heart 2 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltYup, different. Less rain for one thing. I have some friends in Boulder City and 'Vegas and a daughter in North 'Vegas. Late Nov. when I was last there, weather was nice. Hope it cooperates for you! Not bad from what I see...

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/nv/las-vegas/36.16,-115.13
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltConsiderably less rain alright, especially here in our restaurant. This is a photo of our tabletop.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonDenied anything to use for scale (cleverly done, by the way) my first guess was that it was a mural somewhere.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsI know - I feel bad for not providing some context. TLI.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0