What?  Again? - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

December 6, 2022

What?  Again?

Yes, I know.  We just did this last winter, and the one before that.  We seem to be stuck in a rut, but for us a pretty tolerable one: spend autumn in Southern Europe somewhere; come back to Portland long enough to check in, run some errands, and head south with the car because we’ve gotten spoiled and don’t like the rain and cold all that much.  We might as well leverage the fact that we’re homeless anyway and migrate with the seasons.

The plan this winter looks very much like last winter’s.  We’ll be staying in many of the same places and taking many of the same rides, so there may not be much new to say.  Not that that’s likely to stop us - we’ll probably post something from time to time anyway, if for no other reason than to help ourselves remember where the time went this winter when we look back at it.  And I’m sure we’ll want to keep track of how far up Mount Lemmon we made it this year, and of what I did for my annual birthday ride (76 miles this time!).  And if we see any road runners or peccaries or bobcats this time out.  Or stumble across any CycleBlazers - that’s always worth reporting about.  And or course my Rodriguez wants to see and be seen after his long spell in the closet.

Anyway, here’s an outline of this winter’s plan.  If it looks like we’ll be in your neighborhood somewhere along the way, drop us a comment and we’ll get in touch.  

12/2-11 Portland

12/15-21 Paso Robles

12/22-24 La Jolla

12/25-28 Borrego Springs

12/29-01/28/23 Tucson

01/29-02/12 the drive north

02/13-03/14 Portland

03/15 TBA

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Steve Miller/GrampiesFurther to "TBA", I feel like you recently noted you have already booked your next overseas flight. Where to?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesSo nosy! Here’s a hint. Strange but true, we’re landing in the same city, on the same day, as Jacquie and Al.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonWow, Jacquie has not only booked the flight but reserved all but one night. Amazing. Also, the comments among those Cycleblazers who know the place well - impressive. And then there is us - never even seen a granita!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWell, you’re one up on me. I didn’t actually know what a granita is until just looking it up. We’re in pretty much the same boat as Jacquie - we’ve booked the first month also, since Easter is happening in there somewhere. The last two months shall remain a mystery for now though, since we’re still knocking around ideas ourselves.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireWhen you travel north to Portland, will you be traveling through or near Napa? I'd love to meet you both and treat you to lunch or a wine tasting or host you for an overnight stay.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Amber StarfireWe’d love that. I’m sure we’ll be in the vicinity, following the coast because that early in the year it’s too chancy to drive through the mountains. We’ll hold that thought for the next couple of months.

No wine tasting though, which would be totally wasted on us! Rachael doesn’t drink, and I can’t taste or smell.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYeah, I do that when travelling with Al. He's adamant that we not be away too long (8 weeks was too long, he said, when we got back from Italy) so I microplan to get as much in as I can in the time allotted.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago