Lunch date - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

January 31, 2023

Lunch date

Last ride of our stay in Tucson, and just another spin along the loop.  Still, there were a few points of interest to pass along.  First, I belatedly threw out a couple months worth of pills that were a half year past their discard date, started in on my new prescription refill, and enjoyed my first day without an arrhythmia episode in four days.  So that’s very welcome news.  Going forward, I’ll pay attention to this important consideration I’ve ignored for the past two or three decades.

Second, we got a receptive response to our proposal to meet up somehow, somewhere with Wendy before we leave town.  After a few iterations we agree to meet her at one for lunch or coffee at Ren Coffeehouse, a place we’ve never heard of that Wendy suggested.  It’s just off the loop at Campbell Avenue. After gaming out the options, Rachael come up with the plan of biking there by way of the Santa Cruz and then turning east up the Rillito.  It’s only about sixteen miles to Ren that way, but the plan is to get there early, overshoot a ways and then double back.  It’s a good plan, because it assures that we’ll make it there in plenty of time; and also because Rachael can treat it as an out and back and bike faster and further than me if she wishes.  As she nearly always does.

For a day that was supposed to be cool and breezy its surprisingly pleasant when we leave home about 10:30.  The conditions will turn out to be sunnier and at least five degrees warmer than expected, and perfect for sitting outdoors in the sun when we meet Wendy for lunch.

There’s a good omen when we latch on to the Loop at Saint Mary’s: barely a hundred yards into the ride a roadrunner scurries across the path just a few yards in front of me.  Great!  Another good birding day.  I reach back to make sure I’ve got the camera again, but in fact this is the only Bird of Interest I’ll see today.  Which is fine - we’re not on a bird outing today and the riding is fine all the way to Ren, where I catch up with Rachael doubling back from the small lead she’d established over me.

Northbound along the Santa Cruz. That’s Wasson Peak ahead, the highest point in the Tucson Mountains and another excellent hiking destination we’ll have to make room for some winter. Maybe next year?
Heart 6 Comment 0
I was sorry I couldn’t stop for a shot of this colorful character and his dog, but once he’s out of sight I here a gleeful shout from Rachael: Got him! She’s got her GoPro workin’.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekThat looks like my cousin, the Dogpacking Cycling Cowboy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Forging east up the Rillito, this time with the western snout of the Catalina range ahead.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I finally fall behind when I stop for this patient Northern Mockingbird, thinking to show our friends down south the subtle differences between it and its close relative the Tropical Mockingbird they’ve been seeing. I take fifteen or twenty shots of him, trying for an arty one with Wasson Peak in the background; but as often happens the first shot was the best one.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt looks a bit darker and slightly larger. I said Mockingbird before reading the caption, so slowly I am learning some species recognition. Steve asks if you took the shot with "his" camera. Are you back to Portland now for a quick sojourn? Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt’s too bad you wasted your efforts on recognizing a mockingbird, because you’re not likely to see them back home. It’s within their range apparently, but I don’t remember ever seeing one much north of the California border. You’ll have much more luck with ospreys.

We’re on our way back to Portland, where we’re booked for a month - but we’re dragging our feet getting there. We’ll spend the next twelve days in Nevada and California before really heading north.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOh,yeah, the camera. Yup, the ZS60.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Rillito River is back to its normal dry look, the way we’ve always seen it in the past. We were really fortunate to be here in a winter when there was so much water flowing down it for a couple of weeks.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It’s about noon when we meet up near Ren.  With an hour to fill we head further east, and agree to double back in about twenty minutes so we’re back in plenty of time for our lunch date.  We don’t get far when I look ahead and am puzzled to see a long, colorful panel I don’t recognize.  I decide to hold back and let Rachael gets there first to capture a distant shot of her for the Where’s Rachael album.

Where’s Rachael? I know - it’s too easy if I tell you in advance. Sorry for spoiling the challenge.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jen RahnOrange panel?

The other humans look like pedestrians(?)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnAnd painters.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

When I get there, half the path is closed off by a long row of lane dividers to protect the painting crew that’s hard at work creating this fantastic new mural.  My first thought as I bike along it is that they’re nearing its completion, as they’re coming to the end of the retaining wall they’re working on.  When we double back later though, we’ll see sketchlines for the unpainted section that cover the entire wall that you can see in the photo above, including the low midsection.  In fact, it looks like they’re barely a quarter of the way through.  Fantastic.  When it’s done it will be by far the longest mural in the city.

Later, Rachael will tell me that she’s seen this mirror herself and reminds me that she mentioned it at the time, excited by what she thought was a new mural along the Loop.   She couldn’t quite describe its location then and I couldn’t picture it either, so she’s really pleased for us to be seeing it together at the end just before leaving town.

And still later it will occur to me to read up in this new creation.  I learn that it’s a significant public art project with a $75,000 budget to paint the new retaining wall, awarded last year to prominent Tucson muralists Jessica Gonzales and Rock Martinez who teamed up and submitted the winning proposal.  It will give us one more reason to want to come back again next winter and see it after its completion. Here is a background article from last winter about the then-planned project and the muralists.

What a splendid creation!
Heart 5 Comment 0
A rattlesnake, I think.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Local muralist Jessica Gonzales, one half of the artistic team, directs the day’s activities.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnHow great to see this project in progress!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And a hummingbird. Someone will have to post photos of the whole work once it’s completed. I wonder how long it will take?
Heart 2 Comment 0
It really is beautiful, a long ribbon of the familiar desert themes you see here.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It takes me awhile to get past the mural because there’s so much to take in.  In another half mile I catch up with Rachael on the return again, and we discuss videoing the scene when we bike past the mural.  First though we cross the wash to the other side to get a shot from the opposite bank.

The look from the opposite bank. This is great - it’s in such a prominent position at a bend in the wash. It will be visible from a long way in either direction.
Heart 3 Comment 1
marilyn swettWhat a neat thing! We'll be looking forward to seeing that when we're in Tucson in May.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

So finally we’re doubling back on our way to Ren, approaching the pedestrian Country Club Bridge when I look up at the biker just coming off the bridge coming our way.  It’s Wendy!  I recognize her immediately from the photo Rachael brought back yesterday.  It’s perfect, because we can include her in the video as we bike back alongside the mural.

Video sound track: Bright Eyes, by Classic Dream Orchestra

We ride together back to Ren Coffeehouse, find ourselves an empty table in the sun, and spend the next hour and a half getting to know each other.  It’s an excellent visit, and makes us sorry we hadn’t run in to each other sooner so we could meet up more than once.  We’re so lucky that it happened at all, right at the last possible minute.  She’ll be in town for another month before heading back north, so if you find yourself in Tucson in February you might reach out. 

At Ren Coffeehouse. Rachael is in the market for new cycling shoes and try’s on Wendy’s Bontragers for size. Great color!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wendy’s ride for the winter.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After lunch I’m happy to head back home and catch up on the blog I’ve fallen behind on, but Rachael decides to bike on - riding with Wendy to her car and then continuing just far enough to meet her mileage quota for the day.  And for dinner?  We’re back for a last meal at Locale, our new favorite eatery in town.

It’s worth coming to Locale just for the focaccia bread.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rachael’s having the salmon again, but I went for the roasted half-bird with broccolini and polenta.
Heart 3 Comment 0
One last selfie for the road.
Heart 5 Comment 0



Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 1,382 miles (2,224 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Wendy BeaudoinIt was lovely getting together with the two of you yesterday. I hope we’ll have a chance to do it again sometime. I will look forward to reading about your next trip to Europe, with undoubtedly more outstanding photos. I hope you’ll have many “stupidity-free days” although as we said yesterday, those are sometimes the most interesting days.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterGreat to hear the new meds halted the 4 day run of arrhythmic episodes! Safe travels north.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Wendy BeaudoinIt was great alright. Thanks again for reaching out. I feel pretty confident we’ll cross paths again - maybe when we’re on our road trip through southern Alberta and BC this summer.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamWhat a wonderful mural project. We'll do our best to keep up with the progress on it while we're here. Glad you are back in the saddle.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierGood to hear the new drugs fixed the problem. There will be no stopping you now, Winterdude!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago