Hog Canyon / La Jolla - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

December 21, 2022 to December 22, 2022

Hog Canyon / La Jolla

Wednesday: Hog Canyon

Facing perfect conditions for our last day here, we have to choose between riding out Hog Canyon again or driving over to the San Andreas fault line for one of the rides over there.  In my opinion the best option is up Bitterwater Road, a truly spectacular ride I hope to revisit someday.  Hog Canyon is outstanding too though, and with a great ride available that we can start right from home it seems silly to hop in the car and drive a half hour.  So the choice is made.

We rode up Hog Canyon last December on our drive south, and were stunned by its ethereal beauty.  The conditions were perfect that day for seeing it at its best, with a partially overcast sky setting off the shimmering hills and fields to their best effect.  It was an excellent ride today also, but with a cloudless sky the colors were all just a bit washed out.  Even with that though it was definitely the best of the rides from our stay here.  Also, it was easily the best birding day of the set.  In addition to the two shown here there were meadowlarks, hawks, ravens, quail, western bluebirds, a brilliant blue mountain bluebird, and a mockingbird being harassed off the scene by a pursuing blackbird.

A few miles northeast of town and we’ve already left town and traffic behind. This is definitely the best direction for rides starting from Paso Robles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I really admire the fact that some isolated oaks have been spared in the expanse of vineyards that blankets the valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsWith what are you expected to share this road? :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYes, that was my point exactly.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the third of these. Is it too soon to declare it a windmill of the day? For all I know this will be the last we’ll be seeing for awhile.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cedar waxwing, one of about a dozen in this tree, looking like Christmas tree ornaments.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThe super zoom strikes again! Lovely photo.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Chipping sparrow.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Barn of the day, of course.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraWOW. You're in front of Rachael?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraVery funny, Patrick. No, she’s on her way back.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Parallel waves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 2
Keith AdamsAnd just like that, poof! She's gone again.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsShe’s fast, but not that fast. I saw this sinuous road coming up and decided to wait for her to get ahead on it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lunch stop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heading home, with the Santa Lucia range ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Video sound track: Tanglewood Tree, by Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer

Thursday: the drive to La Jolla

The five and a half hour drive to La Jolla turned into a seven and a half hour drive after multiple stretches of slow, stop and go traffic through interminable Los Angeles, and a half hour stop for second breakfast in Carpenteria.  Stressful and exhausting, with by far the best part being the chorizo scramble and home fries in Carpenteria.  That’s all I care to say about the day, other than the countryside around Solvang and Santa Ynez was glorious and looked like it could be a good base for some rides on the drive north.  Needs more research.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 42 miles, 1,900’; for the tour: 218 miles, 11,900’

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 218 miles (351 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kelly IniguezMany, many years ago we rode a tandem rally with Santana tandems that was based in Solvang. It was good riding.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezThanks for the feedback. We stayed in Santa Ynez or Solvang long ago on a ride from San Jose to Santa Barbara and really liked the country. It’s time to give it a longer look.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago