San Diego Bay again - Winterlude 2022 - CycleBlaze

December 23, 2022

San Diego Bay again

There really aren’t that many riding options from La Jolla.  Just two really, unless we run an out and back north up the coast toward Oceanside and LA, which doesn’t excite us that much for some reason.  The choices are a loop of San Diego Bay and a ride out to the end of Point Loma.  There’s a lot of good riding around Mission Bay and the San Diego River too, but if you start from La Jolla those get incorporated in the above two rides because they’re on the way.

We’ve done variations on these two rides twice before: last year, when we also stayed here for three nights on our drive down to Tucson; and once from San Diego in late 2019, right before Covid.  They’re both worth repeating though, and that’s the plan.  We start with the longest one, San Diego Bay, because of our dinner plans.  We have restaurant reservations for both nights, but tomorrow’s is early - 4:15 - because it’s Christmas Eve and that’s the only time slot still available when we booked.   The San Diego Bay loop is 50 miles, and we’d be pushing it trying to complete the loop in time for tomorrow’s dinner - especially because there’s a ferry ride involved that will slow us up.

It’s nearly 20 degrees warmer this morning than we were seeing in Paso Robles.  We really could start right after breakfast, except that there’s a dense fog outside.  By the time it’s burned off enough that we feel comfortable biking it’s after 10, so we’re going to have to keep on top of the time situation if we don’t want to be out after sunset which is coming about 4:30 now.

The ride starts with the run down the coast to Mission Beach, which even this early on a gray weekday morning is already a crazy, congested scene.  From there it’s another six miles east to San Diego and then down the east side of the bay to Chula Vista and then Fruitdale.  Even though a lot of the way is on bike paths, I realize I’m losing my enthusiasm for this part of the ride - it’s just too urban, congested and industrial.

Waiting for the sun, Pacific Beach.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The pier at Pacific Beach is impressive no matter what the conditions are.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The ride really comes into its own south of Chula Vista and once we reach the south end of the bay.  It’s a fine ride all the way across and then up the west side of the bay to Coronado, with impressive views across the bay and with the waterways full of surprises.  If it were closer at hand, the south end of the bay would be a great spot to putter along and check out every concentration of birdlife you come to, but today at least we don’t have much slack if we’re going to make it back before dark.  Today though the ride takes a little more effort as we find ourselves pushing into a 10-15 mph header.

Do you think we can claim this wind spinner as the windmill for the day? It’s this or nothing, but I think I’m hoping in vane.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanUnbelievably witty!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanThanks! I considered spelling vain correctly but thought the joke would spin over peoples’ heads.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The saltworks at Fruitland are always worth a look.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking across the salt pans at the south end of the bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An impressive mélange: avocets, stilts, shovelers and mallards.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Brants and sandpipers.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There are two ferries from Coronado back to San Diego.  Their schedules aren’t really coordinated, so it’s hard to plan for how much time you might spend sitting waiting for the next departure.  We decide the prudent thing is bike steadily to Coronado and eat lunch there while we wait.  One’s just about to depart when we bike up though so we immediately buy our tickets ($7 each, one way), wheel the bikes on and eat lunch on the short voyage.

We’ve timed it perfectly. The ferry is just starting to board when we roll up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s a good thing we had such luck with the crossing, because the rest of the ride back goes very slowly because of all the excruciatingly long red lights and the crowds that are still out around Mission Beach.  It doesn’t help either that we end up crossing the San Diego River on the wrong side of the bridge, and the path is too narrow to bike safely and we end up walking it.  By the time we make it back to the hotel it’s after 3.  We still had an hour to play with, but if we’d had to wait long for the ferry we’d both have been getting anxious.

So, that’s three times in the last four years.  Nice enough, but I think that’s sufficient for awhile.

The fog is getting dense along the San Diego River, and Point Loma is completely blanketed.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pretty terrible shot - foggy, poor lighting and too far off - but it’s only the second little blue heron I’ve seen so I’d better remember it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A slow crossing across of the wide San Diego River. The other side of the bridge is much better, so plan ahead.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At Ocean Beach we come to the edge of the fog bank, and a feeble sun breaks through.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Conditions are completely different a quarter mile later.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Video sound track: Patricia, by Ry Coder & Manuel Galban

Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 50 miles, 1,200’; for the tour: 268 miles, 13,100’

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 268 miles (431 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kelly Iniguez‘Urban, congested, industrial’ is not my idea of a fun ride either. Just because it’s doable doesn’t mean it’s desirable! Says the woman with one more week to kill in Palm Springs.

On a positive note - my hiking is coming along. I went for two hours today. Then came home for lunch and a 17 mile spin on roads I deign good enough to ride.

Jacinto has a different fun meter. He says he has enjoyed all of his rides here. He’s gone all directions.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kelly IniguezI’m glad you had a better day in Palm Springs. It’s definitely a place I wouldn’t want to cycle.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago