San Diego Bay - Winterlude 2021 - CycleBlaze

December 12, 2021

San Diego Bay

In an impressive feat of self-discipline aided by a prod with a sharp stick from my partner, I make it out the door and down to the bayfront in time to watch the first rays of the sun rise above the ridge and shine on the noisy, writhing mass of seals and sea lions on the rocks below.  In the water just offshore a pod of seals swirl, leap and dive in the slack gaps between crashing breakers, sometimes going completely airborne like dolphins.  And the sky is filled with seemingly thousands of birds as pelicans arrive from the south in trains gliding just above the water.

And on land?  It is very quiet, unlike last nights throng of sightseers.  A few joggers, a few folks walking their dogs, a few others like myself out with their cameras staring down and out in wonder.  A mobile coffee stand opens its shutters.  A few sidewalk artists set up easels and lay out their sketches and paintings on the wall to tempt the crowds to come.   

The best moments of the day.

Rise and shine!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Reveille.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At La Jolla Cove.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At La Jolla Cove.
Heart 4 Comment 0
15! A pelican peloton.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
A bird of a different feather.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltYou must be in Paradise!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltFeels like it alright. Knock me over with a feather!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today’s ride south is on the longish side - a 53 mile jaunt south to circle San Diego Bay.  Its about a twenty five mile ride just to circle the bay, riding south from San Diego to it’s south end and then back north along the long Coronado spit before catching the ferry back to the mainland; and then there’s the 25 mile out and back between there and La Jolla.  It’s an excellent ride, much of it on the flat, carfree bike paths of the Bayshore Bikeway.  In retrospect we should have gotten an earlier start for this ride, especially since we’re dependent on timing our arrival in Coronado to the departure schedule of the two ferries that ply the short route across the bay.

The 12 mile ride between La Jolla and San Diego is not the fastest either as we’re slowed down through the long seaside promenade along Mission Beach, densely packed today with weekend revelers enjoying the fantastic weather; and slowed down further when I make a poor routing choice and steer us onto Narragansett Avenue, forgetting that this will bring us to a trio of steep ridges crossing Point Loma Heights before we finally drop down to the north end of the bay.  

And, of course, there is the main attraction of this ride for me - the chance to see some of the aquatic bird life that winters here in San Diego Bay, a National Wildlife Refuge.  All of these things take time, and we’re really fortunate to have only a ten minute wait for the ferry because even with that we don’t make it back to our hotel until 4:30, right before sundown.

But first, the big news for the day: we have video again!


Video sound track: Good Vibrations, by The Beach Boys 

Image not found :(
Leaving La Jolla.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
A huge Sunday morning calisthenics class blankets most of Palisades Park. There must be hundreds of these sweaty, stretching bodies bending in unison to instructions blaring over loudspeakers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crystal Pier. It’s still early enough in the day that few are on the beach yet, but further south we’ll pass a steady series of beach volleyball games.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Buffleheads, Mission Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The famous Great Pyramids of Chula Vista. There should be camel rides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Looking north across the salt pans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
On the Bayshore Bikeway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The view north to San Diego from the south end of the bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Stilts! It’s the largest concentration I can remember seeing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Sleepyheads.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the San Diego Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the San Diego Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh, that’s right. We were also held up by the dancers clogging the bike path in Coronado. Without this we might have caught the earlier ferry that was just lifting it’s boarding ramp when we arrived.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For the Alphabet Quest: Sleek Transport Vessel!
Heart 0 Comment 7
Keith KleinWhat happened to “U”?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinO! Guess we should have taken the U-boat.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Keith KleinNice to see I'm not the only one who gets corrected by you whenever we make an error in our journals. You must have been an editor at some point in your life--a dictatorial perfectionist of an editor. I say that with admiration.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinTo Gregory GarceauHi,
Nine years on the editorial board of “Applied and Environmental Microbiology” would harden the heart of even the most mild mannered of mycologists. Although I am relearning the ways of civilized folk, I still can’t resist a metaphorical (and alphabetical) wise crack betwixt friends. And spell check has both made it easier and harder to look foolish especially when you use more than one language on an everyday basis, as I do. Best to ignore the mote in my neighbors eyelets mine own faults be brought to light.
Thanks for the compliment. Maybe I’ll put “ dictatorial perfectionist” on my business cards.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Keith KleinDid you purposely plant that "eyelets" faux pas as an easy way for ME to correct YOU? Or were you using the voice function on your phone and it misunderstood you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Gregory GarceauI await your critique for not putting a question mark at the end of my comment. I pressed the "Post Reply" button before I noticed. How embarrassing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinTo Gregory GarceauHi,
Yes, eyelets is but an anagram of eye lest. And not a clever one at that. I applaud your eagle eye and blame my cataract , a too-quick touch on the post reply button and the inability to edit one’s own comments. Craven of me I know, but even high falutin’ editors have feet of clay.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Image not found :(
Two views of the San Diego waterfront.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Masks mandatory on board. Departure was held up by a group on the upper deck with their masks off taking selfies. The captain hollered at them three times to mask up so we could depart before he finally got their attention.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 55 miles, 1,300’

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 502 miles (808 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0