Multi-route maps - Winterlude 2021 - CycleBlaze

November 21, 2021

Multi-route maps

This post is a combination experiment, tutorial, and update on Team Anderson’s plans for next summer.  We’ve previously announced that our plan for the coming year is a nine month tour in Europe: spring in France, summer in the UK, and then autumn back in France again.  As a way to pass the time while we’re waiting out the rain we’ve started refining this plan over our initial brainstorming idea and it’s starting to feel like something that actually holds together.

Here’s the current thinking on the UK portion of the tour, which is quite different from the initial vision.  This one stays entirely in England and Wales, beginning in Poole after catching the ferry from Cherbourg and ending in Dover and the ferry to Calais.  Including Ireland as we originally envisioned felt like it was covering too much territory, so we’ll save the Emerald Isle for another tour.

England and Wales: Summer, 2022.
Heart 1 Comment 5
Suzanne GibsonVery useful! Thanks!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonI meant the possibility to merge multiple routes is useful. The route is interesting but won't be much use to me. I doubt that I will be cycling in the UK. I just checked and it seems that this function is limited to premium accounts with RWGPS. But it is very cool.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonOh. Sorry to hear that. I thought you were inviting yourself along and was wondering if we could transfer some of our weight to your eBike. Disappointing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham FinchHave you traced cycle routes?

Some of the Norfolk section is on my itinerary for 2020. I will ride west from Spalding in Lincolnshire to Kings Lynn and across to Wells-next-the Sea before heading south, inland.

I see Lincoln is included! If you do a bit of research, you'll see it has some history. When do you think you'll be in the UK?

The east coast section north of Hornsea to Whitby is something I did a while ago, as you likely know.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchYes, it’s nearly all following Sustrans routes. We’ll have plenty of time for multi day stays along the way for day rides and walks as well; and we might hop a train to a London for a few days, or we might stuff the bikes somewhere for a few weeks and head home for a break - we really don’t know whether we’ll like being on the road for a full 9 months.

We’ll leave Cherbourg for Poole on May 30th if I’ve done my Schengen calculation correctly, and can’t return to the mainland again until August 28th.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

So that’s the news update.  The experiment was to see if it is possible to include multiple routes in an embeddable map, rather than just creating a static image of a multi-route map and including that as a picture.  The experiment was inspired by this forum post submitted by Susan Shore, who asked if anyone knew if this was possible.  I’ve wondered that myself, but have never bothered to do the research.  

The experiment was a success, as you can see.  Note that it’s dynamic, and you can select and jump to the individual maps in the collection using the scroll bar at the bottom.

So, the tutorial.  RideWithGPS has instructions on this here, but it’s pretty straight-forward once you know how to create an Event.  Briefly, these are the steps:

  • Create an event (an update: I added this post to the Forum thread to describe how to create and work with events); 
  • Add to it all the routes you want included in your multi-route map;
  • Click the Share button at the top of the event;
  • Select Embed Map;
  • Select Default To Show All;
  • Copy the embed text, and paste it into the map box in your journal post.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Oh, and if anyone has thoughts on this as a proposed itinerary feel free to speak up.  My knowledge of England was really pretty thin when we started imagining this tour, but I’ve got a few more ideas to work with by now.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Jacquie GaudetThanks for this, Scott! I've always put in a screen shot of my event but this is much better. Ill have to try it out once I'm home and reunited with my laptop.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesI assume these features are only in the Premium version of RWGPS. We had been considering subscribing since this would be the only way to see multiple routes on the same map plus having Streetview, - by changing MAP to the Google Map. However if you are not hung up on Streetview, you can of course get multiple routes on a map with bikemap.net and many others, but yeah, not embeddable. Forgive me for babbling, too much pre-trip planning going on here as well.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is not the case. We have only a free membership ourselves. It takes some poking around to find your way to the Events section in RideWithGPS, but it’s available to anyone. I just worked through this with Bob in Vermont, who also thought it was only available to Premium subscribers. See the link I added to the point about Events in the post above.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham FinchI will be in the UK from April 1st to early July.

Your route in South Wales includes some of my own - Chepstow - Abergavenny - Hay-on-Wye- but I'll be going in the opposite direction.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchWe might keep an eye on Wales then. We should be there the last half of June. Also we’ll keep an eye on your rode through Norfolk. We might learn something useful for when we’re that way later in the summer.

If not this summer, we still plan to make it back to Taiwan one of these winters. Now I’m keen to go on a claw machine crawl.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago