Journal Import - My Experience (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Journal Import - My Experience (page 2)

Mike JamisonTo George Hall

George, could you elaborate a bit on how you imported your journal maps from "the other site" to include in the imported journal that landed here on Cycle Blaze? I have one old journal that I have no Strava or Ride w/ GPS source to use; only the maps created on Crazy Guy. You say you "took a snip of the map/profile" on the other site and brought it to you imported journal here on CB. Do you mean to simply took a screen shot to use, or did you find a way to copy the code of the Crazy Guy map in some other way? TIA for sharing more about what you did!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
George HallTo Mike Jamison

Mike - yes, I took a screen shot of the map and profile - I used the windows snipping tool to do that.  If you want to re-create an interactive map, you can download the GPX file from that other site and then use RWGPS (or you can probably do the same thing in Strava) to create the map and then use the "embed" tool to place it in a journal on this site.  To download the GPX file from that other site, click on the route line and a window will pop up that includes a GPX button.

I'm not expert at this, but I think that will work.  To download your entire journal from that other site, you can use the "Download" function found under the "My" tab - but the interactive maps won't download. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Susan ShoreTo George Hall

I've been editing my journals that have been uploaded, but I haven't published them yet.  I had quite a few pictures that were collages made from other pictures.  Those uniformly failed to upload, so that I'm copying them in manually.  It's interesting, because they were just jpg's originally, like any of my other photos.

I've also been loading my maps.  I have several that had a couple of GPS tracks on the same map.  I haven't figured out how to do that here.  Also, I had conscientiously marked my accommodation sites as points of interest on the maps, and haven't figured out how to transfer that information.  I've been adding both the gps track and a snap of the map with the sites and multiple tracks, but if anyone has any hints on how to actually put two tracks on the same map or how to transfer the points of interest, I'd be happy to hear it.  Thanks!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo George Hall

Good Heavens! That's brilliant George! I think either method will work. My several journals from the "old site" are imported (thanks Jeff!!) and after I add some maps and tidy them up I'll start making them public. I must say that after the owner of the old site initiated his"pogrom" against folks who dared interact with Cycle Blaze I kind of lost my desire to write about cycling at all, but seeing the old journals here in a new and safe environment feels great. I'm psyched to share those old stories with you all and am going to write about the three short tours my wife and I took this last spring/summer/fall. Thanks for making the world look a bit brighter everyone.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
George HallTo Mike Jamison

Please do make them public Mike - I look forward to reading others journals when I'm planning my next tour.  The other site was getting to be rather oppressive, so I was thrilled to discover this site.  But I didn't even know it existed until I stumbled on it while searching for an alternative site for my journals.  I consider myself fortunate to have found it, and I'm doubly thrilled now that my journals have a home here. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan Shore

I don’t know about including points of interest, but I’m happy to report that it’s possible to combine multiple routes in a single map on RideWithGPS and then embed it in your journal.  I’m glad you asked, because I’ve wondered this myself but never bothered doing the research.  I created this post as an example and tutorial.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Susan ShoreTo Scott Anderson

Hey, thanks Scott!  Now I feel like I was lazy since I didn't dig into it myself.  Hopefully it's helpful to others, too.  Your planned trip looks great!  I'm a little jealous.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott Anderson

N.b. The multiple routes function on RWGPS is only available to premium subscribers.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Scott Anderson

Scott thanks for the tutorial. I'm stumped on Step 1. I don't know how to create an Event. The only options in the Route Planner screen seem to be "Import Existing" and "Add New".

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Wayne Estes

I’d forgotten that this is not intuitive because I’ve been using events for several years now.  I’ll update the tutorial also, but it’s pretty straight forward and independent of creating the routes themselves.   First, find the Events section from the dashboard view.  In landscape mode they’re on the right, but in portrait they’re way down at the bottom below the routes and rides.

Once you’ve found it, select ‘View Events’.  This opens a new window, on which Create Event is an option.  Then, on the Create Event window, give it a name and optionally a date.  This opens up the window for that event, where you can add routes - either by selecting previously created ones or by adding new ones directly from this page.

Once the event exists it will show up on the Events section of the dashboard.  You can access it from here to add routes, edit it to change its name, delete it, view its map and so on.  It’s really a pretty handy planning tool.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago