Santa Rosa Creek - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

December 6, 2020

Santa Rosa Creek

We wake up this morning and look out the window of our new digs.  Now that it’s light out we can appreciate the view.  It’s quite an improvement from the room we fled from last night.

It was an annoyance to have to evacuate to higher ground last night, but it’s nice that we got a room with a view out of the bargain. It would be even better if we’d gotten a room with reliable WiFi as well, but you can’t have everything.
Heart 2 Comment 0

With our time in Morro Bay running out, we decide to make one last run up the coast.  In a variant of the Cambria ride we took a few days ago, we start from the outskirts of Cayucos this time so that we’ll free up some miles for a run along Santa Rosa Creek, a rural road with a good cycling reputation east of Cambria.

We get a fairly early start, partly to get a jump on the wind that is due to build up throughout the day, and also to get us back to town for a final  waterfront lunch before outdoor dining is squashed by the stay at home order that goes into effect at midnight tonight.

Starting the day’s ride at the Cayucos pier. Nice that the fog is gone today so we can see the complete structure.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The wind isn’t much of a factor when we bike north toward Cambria.  We just saw this coastline a few days ago so there’s not much reason to stop, but I lose contact with Rachael when a roadside hawk arrests me and I won’t see her again until the midpoint of the ride. 

A few miles later, I stop again after cresting Harmony hill for another look at the tiny community.  It’s the weekend and the parking lot is full today, its few shops are open, and there are quite a few folks about.  I see a few more details that tempt me down for a closer look again, but that’s it.  I want to see some of Santa Rosa Creek - this ride was my idea after all - so after I return to the road I keep a good clip until reaching the turnoff at Cambria.

A hawk and the rock.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Jen RahnHow did that rock know to position itself so perfectly behind the bird?!

There's something about this image that transcends all of the yuk out there.

Very nice!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Don’t you love it when your devices are working together? Here, the BF and Garmin collaborate to give the GBO a better look at Harmony Headlands.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jen RahnGBO looks so proud and strong here.

Like he has an important role on the Device Team!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYup. The alpha device announces his dominance. He hasn’t learned yet that pride goeth before a fall.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Harmony again, with a look at the whole town this time. It’s Sunday and the place is abuzz with activity. I think there’s a wedding today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We already saw a bit of Harmony last time, but I missed a few items. Here, the pottery shop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And the general store, which looks like it’s been OOB for awhile.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Santa Rosa Creek Road is beautiful, at least along the miles I see of it today.  There’s a lot to see, it’s very quiet; just my kind of cycling experience.  I’m regretting the time I spent revisiting Harmony, and amsorry to see Rachael coming back at me sooner than I would have liked.  Mentally I start contemplating coming back on my own tomorrow for a longer ride: the loop that goes inland up this road high into the hills before dropping down to Cayucos along Old Creek Road.  We considered this ride early on, but it looked like more than Team Anderson wanted to bite off.  Something to research again when we return to our new aerie.

In Cambria, at the turnoff to Santa Rosa Creek Road: Longhorns!
Heart 1 Comment 0
I’m sure the mothers appreciate that their newborns don’t come out with developed horns.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnYeah .. I'm sure the long legs and hooves are quite enough to deal with!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
On Santa Rosa Creek Road. From the few miles I saw of it, it’s a creat cycling road. A second look is in order, if it can be worked in.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanIs that a plane tree or just a plain tree? It's rather big!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
I give up - what’s well racing?
Heart 1 Comment 0
On Santa Rosa Creek Road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Flood victim?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanThis looks like a beat-up child's toy about eight inches long.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
On Santa Rosa Creek Road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Time for a snack.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stopped for a snack beside this astounding sycamore. Note the huge branch propped up by the ground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is a second giant sycamore like this, it’s own arm resting on the ground, a quarter mile down the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Compare this photo of our two bikes to the earlier one just above. From this angle and lighting they both look nearly the same shade of blue.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After our roadside snack stop, we bike nonstop back to the car.  Once we make it back to Cambria and turn south on the coast highway, we fly south on the now strong north wind.  Exhilarating, a pure delight that makes us feel young again.

Video sound track: Amathunzi (Shadows), by Simon Wynburg

We’re back in town not long after 2, clean up our acts and then head down to the waterfront for a last sit-down lunch.  At the last minute I grab the camera as we step out the door, because you never know what might turn up.  Yesterday, it’s a paddle boarder with her dog; today, it’s a Townsend’s warbler.

Back at Cayucos, at the end of the ride: a long-billed curlew.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Also at Cayucos, a remarkably bold great egret. I’ve never seen one so close in the wild. We wondered if something was wrong with it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rachael was skeptical, but I think you’ll agree that this glass of Eden Valley Chardonnay was worth bringing the camera along. This is from the winery with the tasting room in an old schoolhouse that we saw earlier.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And even if you’re not a Chardonnay fan, you can appreciate this nice portrait of the better half of the team, as well as the pattern of the table surface reflected through the stem.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jen RahnThe Chardonnay is a nice color, but this is a really great shot. It's not often you get to admire your partner a glass stem!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnSee, Rachael? You thought I was nuts when I told you someone would appreciate this shot.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The wine was fine, but this Townsend’s warbler flitting around our table was even better. A good reminder: always take your camera.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Jen RahnThose colors ... Wow!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnSome of the warbler species are so colorful, but it’s rare that I get a good look at them. I’ve never seen one so seemingly tame as this one.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 42 miles, 1,700’; for the tour: 534 miles, 16,200’

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 576 miles (927 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0