Potash Road - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2021

Potash Road

Finally back in the saddle again.  We have a collection of rides we hope to take from Moab if the weather cooperates, but most of them top out around 6,000’.  It’s supposed to stay fairly cool today, so we start with the easiest, lowest elevation ride in the collection: Highway 279, aka Potash Road.  It’s a stub of a highway that follows the Colorado for fifteen miles downriver to pavement’s end at a potash plant.

We’ve been looking forward to this ride because we’ve ridden it before, when we crossed Utah four years ago.  We weren’t expecting that much from it then and we’re amazed to find out what an exceptional ride it is.   I’ll give the few remaining little grey cells a break today and just refer you back to the original description for more detail.  I’ll just add that it was as spectacular this time as before, the weather was perfect, and that we capped it off with an early dinner at The Spoke, sitting on their outdoor patio soaking up the sun.

It’s about time!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Colorado on the northbound cycle path out of Moab.
Heart 3 Comment 0
From the beginning of Potash Road, looking across the Colorado to the La Sal mountains.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Most of the next fifteen miles will look more or less like this as we bike along the river beneath soaring sandstone cliffs.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Q
And I do mean soaring. These cliffs rise straight up from the road to an enormous height in spots. Dizzying.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Big wall, little bike.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On Potash Road. Virtually flat for its entire length, I think this is the most pleasurable ride you can take starting from Moab. A huge payoff for a modest investment.
Heart 4 Comment 0
There is a band of petroglyphs at one spot, perhaps forty feet up a sheer cliff.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Those petrographs are interesting alright, but look at that bike!
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Potash Road. The road is a snake, following a giant hairpin meander. It makes me think back on the goosenecks of the San Juan River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking across the Colorado.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Potash Road. At the wall ahead the river bends left and almost completely doubles back on itself.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Colorado, from Potash Road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The rail line that conveys ore from the potash mine.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The potash train.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Jughandle Arch.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Reflecting on a bend in the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching Moab again, we get another look at the La Sals.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At The Spoke. Sixty degrees, sunny, a light breeze. Idyllic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The back wall inside The Spoke. Makes me want to go to Europe again.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 42 miles, 800’; for the tour: 3,475 miles, 148,000’; for the year: 52 riding days, 2,200 miles, 91,000’, and 3 flat tires

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 3,475 miles (5,592 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0