The Goosenecks - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

March 16, 2021

The Goosenecks

Nope, still no biking today.  Tomorrow though, we promise.  This is just another driving day, with only one significant stop - to Goosenecks State Park, a few miles north but many more miles downriver from our motel in Mexican Hat.  Goosenecks is another essential stop.   It’s a primitive state park with no trail system at all - just a walk along the canyon rim - so we didn’t even get much of a hike in either until arriving in Moab when Rachael took off for a local hike while I gave my knees a day off.

Just another day to drive, and gape.

The bridge across the San Juan River, from the parking lot of our hotel. Everything to the right is Navajo land, just this side of the bridge is the motel’s restaurant. Just behind me, one of their miniature donkeys is braying.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inside the restaurant, which is perched on the edge of the cliff. The river side windows all have signs saying to keep them locked to prevent falling into the abyss.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A period piece advertising one of Wasatch Brewery’s finest.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauSo I got to Utah and what did I order?
Of course, I ordered a Polygamy Porter.
Why have just one?
They're so much fun,
After four of 'em I can't think of another word that rhymes
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauYou may have been affected by porter disorder.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
I could describe what we’re seeing at San Juan Goosenecks Stare Park, but this info panel from an overlook does a much better job.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A map view of this stretch of the river. What isn’t clear from this view is that those cliffs lining both sides of the river are a thousand feet high.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the San Juan Goosenecks. This is a spot where it really would be nice to have a drone to get an aerial view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Amazing that it’s a thousand foot drop. Also amazing to imagine that this river was once at the surface of a broad plain, like the lower Mississippi, and just kept cutting down as the Colorado Plateau raised up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The San Juan Goosenecks.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This stretch of the river is another popular one with the rafters, unsurprisingly. There’s one in this photo if you look closely enough, which gives you a good sense of the scale here. They put in at Mexican Hat. It’s another one that involves a lottery, so you go when your number comes up regardless of the weather.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
One of the info panels says that raptors and ravens roost along the precipice. Looks like an accurate statement.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spoiling an otherwise perfectly good view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking south from the precipice of the goosenecks, we get a last look at the Navajo Rug formation east of Mexican Hat.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re in open range country.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Driving north on US 191, somewhere south of Monticello. Those are the Abajos ahead. We’re arriving just a few days after a major snowstorm, and the mountains are spectacular.
Heart 3 Comment 0
North of Monticello. Just some wierd rock outstanding in its field, with the La Sal Mountains behind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wilson Arch, right beside the highway north of Monticello. Here’s one you don’t even have to get out of your car to appreciate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our home for the next 10 nights. Time to break out the bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezHey, I'm glad you found my cheap motel! Isn't it in the perfect location? My next recommendation is to eat at the quesadilla food truck, right off the main drag.

Kelly
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezIt’s the place alright - fair price, good location, decent quality. It’s a good thing we booked early too, because they’re fully booked now.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
From Rachael’s hike, starting from the motel. Within just a few blocks of town you can start hiking up the red rim to its east.
Heart 3 Comment 0
From Rachael’s hike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
From Rachael’s hike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0