Paskenta - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

November 27, 2020

Paskenta

Before taking up today’s ride, let’s have a better look at that water tower.  At Rachael’s encouragement I went back for another web search and came up with this article, an account of a visit to the ranch last year by a history class that received a guided tour from Les.  It has some interesting additional historical information about the ranch and the tower, as well as one excellent photograph of the tower.  I’m including it here, in case the article itself disappears some day.

The water tower at J&M Ranch. Good enough! The lighting is a bit better than when we were there, actually. The only thing missing is the large raven’s nest under the eaves on the right.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Jen RahnWow! Very impressive .. and so cool that you've recorded the story about your visit there. Every bit as valuable as the missing photos.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Gregory GarceauA water tower with windows? I'm sorry, a water tower should be a big featureless steel structure, narrow at the bottom and bulbous at the top. That's how God intended them to be.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThanks, Jen. I’m glad it forced me to think harder about what I wanted to remember. Finding this decent photo is good enough to complete the picture.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

And, where did yesterday’s entry for Thanksgiving go?  For me, it went to a complete day off the bike.  One of my old-guy aches seems to be a mild hamstring injury that’s been bothering me for about a week.  My left leg gets achy right behind the knee, and I thought I should give it a RICE break (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) for the day.  Actually, an RIICE break, since ibuprofen is involved as well.

RICE is nice.
Heart 1 Comment 0

That spring chick Rocky wasn’t held back though, and went off on her own outing for an impressive 14 mile hike along the North Rim Trail up to Sentinel’s Viewpoint, the highest ground in Upper Bidwell Park.  She returned with this visual report:

The better half of Team Anderson surveys the terrain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sentinel’s Viewpoint, the high point of Upper Bidwell Park. The high ground in the distance must be Sutter Buttes, a complex of eroded lava domes just outside Yuba City.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view across the Central Valley from Sentinel’s Viewpoint.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking across Big Chico Creek canyon to the south rim.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today is our last full day in Chico.  After twelve nights here, we’re moving on tomorrow morning.  Since we have to load the bikes into the car anyway, we decide to drive a ways out of town today to see some different country for our last ride.  We’re off to Corning, a small town on the Sacramento River about 30 miles north of here, for a ride west up the other side of the valley.  It’s an out and back, our destination the hamlet of Paskenta.

I’m not going to say more about the bike ride itself, which seems odd because it was the best ride of our stay here in Cisco.  Beautiful, varied, even more interesting than the endless nut groves.  A road and a region we’d love to ride again.  I could go on, but we have to go on.  We’re leaving for another long drive south shortly, and I’m loath to fall behind.  Just look.

Spider woman leaves Corning, biking west over I-5. Mount Shasta fills the sky to our right.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just proving my point.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Westbound on Corning Road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spooks, along Corning Road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Houghton Creek, maybe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Why the little chimneys on the hives here? I imagine it’s for their space heaters, so the bees don’t get cold in the winter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dry wash. Which reminds me. We need to hit the coin-op laundry when we come to our the next town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I always forget what this one is. Grasshopper sparrow?
Heart 4 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesSavannah sparrow I believe
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesWell, sure. I believe so too. I guess I could have bothered to look it up in the guidebook.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Westbound on Corning Road, still.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Snacks?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauMaybe the best one-word caption of all time.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauThanks, Greg. You made me laugh, and made my morning.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Yup, Corning Road still.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flaky red paint.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Flournoy General Store, at the junction with Paskenta Road. Home of Tyler Red Dick.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aah, Paskenta Road. Change is good.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thanksgiving survivors.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking across Thompson Creek.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another driveway, another water tower. Nice that this one doesn’t have the view blocked with towering palm trees.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Not quite up to the J&M standard, but nice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Reminds me of the sand dunes in Death Valley. Greg will hate us, but we really should go there again one of these years. Good place to socially isolate. Or succumb.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch spot, Thompson Creek. Cozy, teetering on tiny slabs of broken concrete. That or in the thistles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eastbound again, Mount Lassen dead on.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Video sound track: Clock Shop, by Billy McLoughlin

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 47 (by Rocky; only 38 by the camp photographer), 600’; for the tour: 281 miles, 5,100’

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 323 miles (520 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0