Day 2: Salem to Albany - Grampies Grand Willamette Excursion Summer 2019 - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2019

Day 2: Salem to Albany

Heart 0 Comment 0

We started out on city streets as we made our way from the motel over to the track. At first we had to cling to the sidewalk, but soon we had some shoulders or bike designated shoulders to help us along. When we reached the track, unfortunately, our situation did not change for the better. The designated route was the shoulder of a busy road. While not exactly dangerous, this is definitely not pleasant, and I found I spent the day dreading the roar of vehicles coming up from behind and blasting past.

To be fair, in places where the shoulder narrowed and we had to be more on road, drivers either passed leaving plenty of clearance, or in many cases, hung back for long periods until the coast was definitely clear for them.

Huddled on the sidewalk to leave Salem
Heart 0 Comment 0
First 20 km much like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids practicing the time honoured Grampies skill of riding the white line when there is no shoulder. Dodie's arm is out because we have just taken this position, after the shoulder turned unrideable.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was 20 km before we first burst out into countryside with the interesting  crops of yesterday, and onto roadway with good shoulder and sight lines. In this section, while the ubiquitous hazelnut orchards were always there, we came across some new things - like kiwis, and huge fields of beans (looked ready to eat!), and a field of peas, now dried to yellow, with pods waiting to head for .. pea soup?

Kiwis
Heart 2 Comment 0
Strawberries interplanted with hazels
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rigidly espaliered apples
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are not really that many vineyards, but this was a nice one.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A really lot of beans!
Heart 1 Comment 0

I naively assumed at this point that we had cleared Salem and would now enjoy another round of agriculture theme park. But no, most of the roadside fields were taken up with relatively boring  hay operations. Or failing that, we had treed borders and just cycled the paved road shoulder.

The hay is done in extra large bales, then this attachment grabs them and they are eventually stacked six high by twenty long.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Last night we had spent some time poring over the (Google) map, looking for both a grocery store and a place to eat for mid day today. We thought about Walmart, but in Salem going there would have taken us in the wrong direction. But we did notice the towns of Independence and Jefferson, about 20 and 40 km down the track. Both seemed to have markets and restaurants, so we settled on stopping at one or the other, or both.

Before we got to Independence, though, we stumbled on a place called the Plaid convenience store. With a bird in the hand philosophy, we dove in to this store, which turned out to be basically a gas station without the gas. Still, somehow a little freaked, Dodie and kids came out with some slightly questionable choices:

The kids approved these questionable choices.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Andrea BrownLooks like Arnim-approved "chid" to me!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Laurie MarczakLooks totally legit to me
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We by-passed Independence then, and after a whole lot of following the paved shoulder with lots of cars track, fetched up at Jefferson. We stopped on the grounds of the  Jefferson Middle School, which had tables and lots of shade trees. They had a little program going on, offering free lunches for kids. They kindly invited us, but the offering was corn dogs,  rejected by both Avi and Violet. So we ate our various packaged items, and things salvaged from breakfast.

Heading deeper into Jefferson, the first store up was Dollar General, and following our pattern from before, we went for it. Jefferson turned out to have a Thai food takeout, a bakery, and a couple of other markets, but actually Dollar General was OK. For example they had a single serving Hagen Daaz ice cream cup for $1.25, and it was great!

Beyond Jefferson we again crossed the river, and as with other bridges we had to take the lane and hold up any cars. Again, they hung far back and showed no sign of impatience.

Crossing the river again (but no provision for bikes).
Heart 4 Comment 0

Also after Jefferson we encountered the highest hills of the trip. These had Violet walking, but she found the heat on walking more vexatious than the actual walk. I had the hardest time on the downsides - watching the kids descend and hoping they would stay in control. Neither up not down, truly, was much of a problem.

We are doing quite a survey of motel brands, and tonight's is a Quality Inn. The room is just a little smaller than Howard Johnson, but the indoor pool is better appointed. There is, as is customary, a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. Howard Johnson really fell down on their breakfast, and we will be interested to see what tomorrow brings here.

A real and more significant question is whether the "scenic bicycle route" can return to the quality we found on the first day. If not, we might have to rate the route overall as a disappointment. Certainly I am not looking forward to retracing today, as we will have to do on the way back. Still, the landscape overall has been fascinating, and the jury is still definitely deliberating. The kids, it must be said, have been golden. Not only have they withstood the long and hot days, but they have brought enthusiasm that has made this a good experience for all.

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 235 km (146 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Scott AndersonI was a bit worried for you two after looking at the Bikeway route. I was surprised that it goes along South River Road, which as you’ve discovered is no picnic. I might have said something, but had nothing better to offer - biking south from Salem (we lived there for many years) is a challenge no matter which way you go. You’re definitely past the worst of it though.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenCongratulations... thats a lot of kms especially from the young riders. Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonSo you’re biking back to Newberg after your turnaround point? Let me know if you’d like ideas for an alternate route on the way back.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYes, ideas would be great! Here is where we are at so far: Since we did not have enough days to reach and return from Eugene, our target is only Halsey. That's where we'll go today. But then, rather than just retrace all the steps, we took a place in Corvallis, and then Keizer. (And then Keizer to Newberg - which was quite nice) .Unless we abandon the bookings, these two places are the basis for route planning. But we realize that Halsey to Keizer is going to be too far, strong as the kids have been, and assuming that we backtrack through Salem. So our current idea is to abandon the official track and take Hwy 20 to the Independence Highway to Independence, and then back on route, to Keizer. Any comments, or thoughts outside this box would be most welcome!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOh, you’ve figured it out already. That’s just what I was going to suggest. You’ll like Corvallis, I’m sure - a bike friendly college town, a place I’d be happy to live. I’ll send you an email with some specific routing directions before we leave town this AM, and maybe post them on RidewithGPS.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonOh. I misread this and thought you meant to stay in Corvallis. I might still suggest that, instead of Independence, but will clarify by email.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamI feel extremely impressed by how the kids are doing AND by your nerves with them on those roads. It makes me recall taking our grandchildren for tours at about that age
Keep safe
Tricia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott! We have just made it to Halsey. Slightly harrowing at times!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith ClassenThanks Keith, and these young riders are impressively impervious to traffic. Coming along the busy road to Halsey (beside I-5), the shoulder was fairly narrow, with gravel and other dirt, and I was sweating bullets. But the kids, up ahead of me, were chattering - about friends, cartoon plots, or ?? - unfazed by the noise and possible danger We elders have seen too much to be unfazed, I guess.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonYes, we are staying in Corvallis tomorrow night. Next night will be Keizer. Any thoughts you have re routes, gps tracks, or other interesting stuff will be most welcome. Thanks for thinking of us.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesDid you check your email? I thought I sent you a pair of routes I mapped out on RidewithGPS, but I don’t find them in my sent mail so maybe I failed the execution. Here are my suggestions. To Corvallis: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30777616; and to Keizer: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30777753.

Overview: to Corvallis, bike west to Peoria Road, then north to its end at highway 34. Cross the highway and follow the bike path to Corvallis.

To Keizer: north out of Corvallis through Crescent Valley, then east to Lewisburg. Cross Highway 99, then bike to the Buena Vist ferry via Pettigrive Road, Corvallis-Independence Highway, Springhill Rd, Buena Vista Road. Cross the willamette on the Buena Vista ferry, which I’m sure the girls will love. Across the River, follow Buena Vista, Sydney and Riverside roads until you intersect your old friend South River Road at the east end of the Independence Bridge.

You know about River Road of course, but you can avoid a good share of it by the side routes I’ve mapped out: first, take Riverside Road (a bit past the 2nd rail underpass, on the right). Then, just past Roberts Store (I think the only provisions after you leave Corvallis), turn left on Homestead Road and bike the bike paths through Minto Brown Park to the Salem waterfront.

Other than River Road, it’s really a nice ride the whole way. We’ve done it many times ourselves.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago