How do You Pronounce that and Where Is it? - Grampies Grand Willamette Excursion Summer 2019 - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2019

How do You Pronounce that and Where Is it?

Every year we scratch our heads, looking for a nice route that we can use for an excursion with grandkids Avi and Violet. Avi and Violet live near Seattle. And listen, we are not saying that there is nowhere nice, and safe, in America to take a kid cycling. We are just saying that such places are scarce, say within a one day drive from Seattle. The best is the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene, in Idaho. But we've done that - twice.

In Washington State there is the Olympic Discovery Trail, and the Burke Gilman Trail. Sure, we could give these a try, but each has its own drawbacks. If you want to make a pitch for these, or some other great part of Washington, let us know in the Comments.

Now Oregon - has made an effort in the cycle touring area, and the Travel Oregon website does list seventeen scenic bikeways. Only five of these are over 100 miles, and none reach 200 miles. The oldest and premier Oregon route is the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway - 134 miles (215 km).

So what do we know about Willamette Valley? Before even nailing down where are the ice cream stops, we can wonder how do you pronounce it, and where is it?

Well it sure isn't William-ette, and it's not Willam-ette,  it's Will -am- ette.  And while we Canadians might think this is some strange modern American pronunciation, it's actually a French (Canadian) mispronounciation of a village name in the Clackamas native american language. 

As usual with all the "strange and exotic" places we stumble in to, the Willamette Valley is not only somebody's backyard, but it has a long history, previously known to seemingly everyone, except us. The valley has been inhabited by native people for at least 6,000 years. Europeans began to filter in after Lewis and Clark "discovered" the place in 1807, and the Oregon Trail opened in 1841. People came from Missouri, hit Portland, and headed on down to the California gold rush.  And now there is even a Willamette University (in Salem). Who knew?

And where is this thing, anyway?

The key is actually the huge Columbia River. In Oregon it flows generally east to west, passing Portland before entering the Pacific. The Willamette is relatively short. It begins not far from Eugene, south of Portland, and runs north, parallel to the coast, before joining the Columbia at Portland. The Willamette runs like that because there are hills near the coast and hills inland - it run between these sets of hills.

Here is the Valley:

The Willamette Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cycle route loosely follows the river:

The cycle way
Heart 0 Comment 0

One way to do this would be to cycle from Portland to Eugene and back. But it turns out we are one day short of time to do that. So we'll cycle Portland (approximately) to Halsey before turning back. That's about 40 km short of Eugene. The ride will be about 265 km in 6 days: 44 km/day on average. That should be about right for the kids, and given that we need to build in lots of ice cream stops!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Scott AndersonOh, right - wait until we’re gone to come down to our turf. If you waited a couple of weeks you could stay over in our home, if we had a home.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt's a fair exchange - you are swarming all over our Island, so you left the "coast" clear for us to invade the Oregon Trail.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Marvin PaxmanTo keep my head around how to pronounce it, I would always say to myself " It's Willamette, dammit"
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamGlad that you are off again. Yes we did know how to pronounce it - we lived in Portland in the seventies when Ken was on a Fellowship working at the Medical School. Now we will be able to see what we could have done then if we had had more free time and fewer small children!
Have fun
Tricia and Ken
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jonathan HechtHey...

Don’t know where you are right this second (8/1, 11:15), but I not only live in Portland, I’m here, now, right now. So if you need a place to sleep, or park your car, or anything else...shout. You should have my real email address at Yahoo! Also, I’ve done the route to Eugene and might be of help.

Jonathan
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Marvin PaxmanOh, how un-Marvin like! But yes, one does need something to remember the unaccustomed pronunciation.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jonathan HechtJonathan, those are super nice offers, and thanks! We are surely getting old and rigid, because though we are still at home, having already booked the accommodations and locked in the gpx track, we don't seem to have the initiative to walk it back and reconfigure for a superior experience.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamYes, as you will read in the next entry, this is the first year where we think the small children are big enough to brave these particular roads. We are entering a sweet spot for a couple of years. After that the kids either will no longer want to be seen with the decrepit old cyclists, or they will be too cautious to take us on certain roads!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekI've done the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway twice, and it's great. You'll love it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago